Since its inception, the KNAW has been a learned society of outstanding Dutch scientists and scholars. Membership is awarded on the basis of scientific and scholarly achievement. Members are appointed for life. Starting in May 2011, the Academy will appoint a maximum of sixteen new members every year. KNAW membership is regarded as a great honour in the Netherlands.
KNAW Academy Medal
De Royal Netherlands Academy Arts and Sciences awards every other year the Academy Medal to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of science in the Netherlands. In 2019, Trudy Dehue, scientific sociologist, author and emeritus professor of the University of Groningen, received the Academy Medal from the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). The prize was awarded to Dehue for the fact that she started the societal debate on important issues in science.
Read more about Trudy Dehue
Academy Professors Prizes
Until 2016 the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) also annually awarded two prizes, each worth € 1 million. One prize was awarded to the most excellent researcher in the social sciences or humanities, and the other to the most excellent researcher in the natural, technical or life sciences. The Academy Professor grants were awarded to excellent researchers as lifetime achievement awards for exceptional achievement throughout the course of their careers.
2010: Prof. Elisabeth de Vries
Elisabeth de Vries (Medical Oncology) was appointed Academy Professor in recognition of her pioneering research within a very wide spectrum of medical oncology. She is a prominent international researcher and develops and implements new techniques in both scientific research and patient care.
2010: Prof. Eric Bergshoeff
Eric Bergshoeff (Theoretical Physics) has made important contributions to scientific breakthroughs in the field of string theory and membranes. He is an internationally renowned scientist whose ideas have strongly influenced the field and its development. Throughout his career, Bergshoeff has been an innovative researcher, and his development of brane theory has had a lasting influence on theoretical and mathematical physics.
2008: Prof. Ben Feringa
Ben Feringa was awarded an Academy Professor Prize for his groundbreaking work in the field of chemistry. He became world-famous after he synthesized organic molecules. Feringa was the first person to synthesize molecular motors that continued to turn under the influence of light. Colleagues worldwide regard this as one of the high points of modern chemistry. Many of the postdoc researchers he has attracted from all over the world have moved on to fill high positions at prominent universities outside the Netherlands.
2007: Prof. Dirkje Postma
Dirkje Postma, Professor of the Pathophysiology of Respiration, was awarded an Academy Professorship ‘for her contributions to the field of pulmonary disease’. Postma has worked on asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) and allergies. Her early work, leading to the use of steroids as a standard treatment for asthma patients, has benefited many millions of people worldwide. She continues to do both clinical work and basic research at an exceptional level. She has successfully expanded her research into the genetics of asthma and is now recognized as being one of the leading investigators in this field worldwide.
2005: Prof. Bram Buunk
Bram Buunk , Professor of Social Psychology at the University of Groningen, was awarded an Academy Professorship for his influential theoretical contribution to social comparison theory, his empirical research into social comparison processes in several new domains, and his evolutionary-psychology approach to social behaviour. His work constitutes an important contribution to solving problems linked to work-related stress, burnout, mental health and serious illnesses. His research has also resulted in important new conclusions in the field of jealousy and reciprocity in interpersonal relationships.
André Aleman (1975) is professor of Cognitive Neuropsychiatry at the Department of Neurosciences of the UMCG and the Department of Psychology of the University of Groningen. Aleman is an innovative, internationally renowned brain researcher. His research field covers subjects such as suicide, ageing, schizophrenia and depression.
Read more about André Aleman
Amina Helmi is a professor of Astronomy specializing in Milky Way dynamics, structure and formation at the Kapteyn Institute of the University of Groningen. She is one of the founders of galactic archaeology: the reconstruction of the history of star systems on the basis of their current positions, movements and the stars within them.
Read more about Amina Helmi
Clara Mulder is Professor of Demography and Space and has made significant contributions to the fields of geography, demography and family sociology. She was one of the first researchers to use the concept of the life course to study how people take decisions about work, divorce, family and domicile.
Read more about Clara Mulder
Linda Steg is Professor of Environmental Psychology and examines how we can understand, predict and influence environmentally aware behaviour. She has studied how people use their cars and why they waste energy, for example. Steg showed that when it comes to the environment, people pay less attention to cost/benefit analyses, facts and arguments than to standards, values and emotions.
Read more about Linda Steg
Marcel Visser was one of the first researchers to demonstrate how climate change disrupts the plant and animal food chain. One of his discoveries is that when oaks bear leaves earlier in spring, the food supply of winter moth caterpillars also peaks before time and the great tits that depend on them arrive too late to find caterpillars to feed their fledglings.
- Prof. dr. O.P. Kuipers (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. L.W. Nauta (Faculteit Wijsbegeerte) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. C.W.A.M. Aarts (Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. A.J.M. Driessen (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. T. Piersma (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. B. Poolman (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. ir. B.J. van Wees (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. mr. W.J. Zwalve (Faculty of Law)- KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. H.W. Broer (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profiel
- Prof. dr. B.W. Dijkstra (Faculty of Science and Engineering) - KNAW-profiel
- Prof. dr. A.P. Buunk (Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences) - KNAW-profiel
- Prof. mr. J.H.A. Lokin (Faculty of Law) - KNAW-profiel
- Prof. dr. E.G.E. de Vries (Faculty of Medical Sciences) - KNAW-profiel
- Prof. dr. M. Joëls (Faculty of Medical Sciences) - KNAW-profiel
- Prof. dr. S.M. Lindenberg (since 1994) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. D.A. Wiersma (since 1995) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. H.G.C. Hillenaar (since 1996) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. K. van Berkel (since 1997) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. E. Noort (since 1998) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. ir. F.J.C. Willekens (since 1998) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. ir. E. van der Giessen (since 1999) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. P.S.H. Leeflang (since 1999) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. G. Th. Robillard (since 1999) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. E.R.M. Taverne (since 1999) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. F. Zwarts (since 1999) - KNAW-profile
- Dr. A. Looijenga-Vos (since 1980)
- Prof. dr. J.W.F. Beks (since 1981)
- Prof. dr. ir. P.J.C. Kuiper (since 1983)
- Prof. dr. W. van Zeist (since 1983)
- Prof. dr. T.S. van Albada (since 1984) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. ir. N.W.F. Kossen (since 1984)
- Prof. dr. W.K.B. Hofstee (since 1985) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. W.G. Mook (since 1985)
- Prof. dr. F.R. Ankersmit (since 1986) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. G. Challa (since 1986) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. R.H. Siemssen (since 1987) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. N.M. Hugenholtz (since 1988) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. S.K. Kuipers (since 1988) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. W. van Delden (since 1989) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. H.T. Waterbolk (since 1970) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. W.G. Zijlstra (since 1972)
- Prof. dr. J. Drenth (since 1973) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. J.L. Bouma (since 1976) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. C. Haas (since 1976) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. S.L. Radt (since 1978) - KNAW-profile
- Prof. dr. H.J.C. Berendsen (since 1979)
|Last modified:||13 March 2020 12.18 a.m.|