The research master offers the possibility to contribute to an international research agenda on the topic of cultural leadership. Our research programme identifies cultural leadership as any cultural practice creating or strengthening interactions between the arts and societal debates in a local, national, or transnational context.
We encourage transdisciplinary research on cultural leadership,
exploring and including perspectives from Archaeology, History,
Language and Culture, and Arts
and Culture studies. We employ analytical, critical, and cognitive perspectives.
Some research themes are:
- Film and the mediation of global and local cultural values;
- Heritage, urban development, and public space;
- Arts and cultural heritage education;
- Cultural leadership practice in a globalised participatory culture;
- Developing new perspectives on cultural leadership’s impact on society;
- Cultural leadership and the critical mediation of transnational discourses and local cultural identity;
- The common as space for cultural policy design;
- Organisational aspects of leadership such as entrepreneurial agency, strategy, and mediation.
The Cultural Leadership Seminar
The programme hosts a seminar lecture series on cultural leadership in cooperation with the Groninger Museum, which is also the venue of the series.
David Rijser, University of Amsterdam (October 11, 2017)
Patricia Wheatley, Head of Broadcast, British Museum (December 13, 2017)
Martin Zierold, University of Hamburg (February 21, 2018)