Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Faculty of Law International programmes LLB programme 2021-2022

Frequently Asked Questions


Important notice
If you are a new incoming student for the 2020-2021 academic year, please read here.

1. What does GPA mean?
GPA means Grade Point Average. This is the average of all the marks of your pre-university education. You cumulate all the marks you have, and divide this by the total number of marks. So if you for instance have 8 marks on your transcript of studies (2 sixes, 3 sevens, 1 eight and 2 nines, on a scale of 1 to 10), you will have to take the total of that (59) and divide that by the number of marks you have (8). Your GPA will then be 59 divided by 8, which is 7.3.

2. Are there any scholarship possibilities?
You can check the University of Groningen Grantfinder for scholarship possibilities. Additionally, some EU students may qualify for a study loan from the Dutch government if meeting certain criteria.

3. How can I arrange my residence permit?
For full, and up-to-date information about all issues related to necessary permits and visas, please visit the visa and residence permit webpages of the university website, which are maintained by the Immigration Service Desk (ISD)

4. What is the difference between an MVV, a residence permit and a visa?
A (tourist) visa you will need when you stay in the Netherlands for less than three months. The MVV is needed when you stay longer than three months and is an entrance visa. It is a prerequisite for the residence permit.

5. How can I find accommodation?
The University does not have a campus! Further information about finding student accommodation in Groningen can be found here.

6. What about health insurance?
All international students in the Netherlands must have health insurance. What kind of health insurance applies to you depends on your country of origin, age, length of stay and if you have a job in the Netherlands as well as studying. For more information, please click here.

7. When will I be registered at the University?
You have already registered through Studielink, as that was step 1 in your application. In order to get fully registered as a student of our University, your Studielink application should be completed. There are three conditions to complete this application/registration:

  1. You have to pay your tuition fee;
  2. You have to hand in a passport-photograph (online);
  3. You have to fulfil all educational prerequisites, like the English proficiency test and certified copies of your degree certificate and transcript

Step 1.
For EU students: you will receive the payment details in Studielink as soon as you have filled in your payment details there. Non-EU students: the Admissions Office will pay your tuition fee for you if you have transferred the necessary fees to the Admissions Office. If you have a scholarship, we will send your notice of payment to your scholarship provider.
Step 2.
You will have to upload your picture in the digital learning environment Nestor. The University Student Desk will contact you through email (the email address you used during your Studielink registration) by sending you a direct link as where to upload your picture. This picture is needed for your student card.
Step 3.
The Admissions Office will make a decree of admission for you, after the certified copies (hard copies) of your English proficiency test, degree certificate and transcript of studies have arrived at the Admissions Office. These cannot be soft copies (so no emailed versions)! This decree of admission will take away all prerequisites for registration. You will receive the original decree of admission and a copy will be sent to the administration.
The address to send the certified hard copies of your documents to is:

Admissions Office, LLB programme
P.O. Box 72
9700 AB Groningen
the Netherlands

After all these conditions have been met, you will be registered as a student of the University of Groningen. Your student card will then be produced and will be sent to your Dutch address after 10 working days. If your non-Dutch address is still registered in the system, the University Student Desk will forward your student card to the Faculty’s International Office. Please contact the International Office if any questions about this process.

8. How about a bank account?
Living in the Netherlands during your studies will require you to open a Dutch bank account for day-to-day practicalities. Please visit the bank affairs page of the website more information about banking options here in Groningen.

9. How much will the living costs be?
Living expenses for international students can vary based on choice of accommodation and personal preferences and needs. However, you can find a rough estimate of living costs for international students in Groningen here.

10. Can I get a part-time job in Groningen?
Part-time jobs are very hard to find in Groningen, especially when you do not speak Dutch. Many students try to find jobs here, but there is no guarantee that they will be successful in finding a position. Please keep this in mind while calculating your financial situation for studying. Further information and advice about finding employment can be found here. Enrolled students seeking assistance and advice about employment after graduation can always contact the Careers Services Law.

11. What is the difference between a ‘Universiteit’ and ‘HBO’?
In the Netherlands the Higher Education system holds two different kinds of education: academic education within research universities (in Dutch called an ‘universiteit’) and professional education within universities of applied science (in Dutch called ‘hogeschool’ or ‘HBO’). The difference lies in the type of education offered and in most cases also in the degree awarded. It is not always made very explicit if a school is a research university or university of applied science. The best indicator will be the length of the programme. Research universities will offer 3-year bachelor programmes and these programmes will give direct access to master programmes. Universities of Applied Science will offer 4-year bachelor programmes and these programmes will not give direct access to master programmes at research universities. In order to get access to master programmes with a bachelor’s degree from a university of applied science, students usually have to participate in a pre-master programme. These pre-master programmes usually take one year.

12. What is the difference between the English-taught LLB programme International and European Law and the Dutch-taught stream Internationaal en Europees Recht in the bachelor programme Rechtsgeleerdheid (‘Law’)?
The programmes are far from the same, as Internationaal en Europees Recht-specialization within the general Dutch Law programme is based on national (Dutch) law and gives access to the bar and the judiciary (after also completing a Master's degree programme). The English-taught bachelor is based on conceptual law rather than national law and does therefore not have the opportunity of giving direct access to the bar or judiciary. As one can imagine, it is impossible to teach Dutch law in English, so all fields of law are taught in the LLB programme, but only on a conceptual basis. This also means that one will be trained to become a diplomat or work for an international (non)-governmental organization, or a company for instance. The judiciary and bar are not possible with the English-taught LLB programme!
Students who would like to keep the option to enter the bar of judiciary open are strongly recommended to participate in the Dutch-taught programme. Several courses in that programme are also taught in English, but the career options are simply somewhat wider. If you are more interested in a non-lawyer, but law-oriented career, the LLB programme might be an option for you.

Last modified:05 October 2020 1.11 p.m.