Corona - exchange students 2020-2021
Important announcementDue to the corona situation, the Board of the University of Groningen has decided to cancel all physical incoming and outgoing international student mobility for the Spring semester of the academic year 2020/2021. The Faculty of Arts is currently considering available options for offering virtual mobility. Updates will be posted on this website.
COVID-19 and the effects for your intended exchange
If you have been selected to enroll in one of the exchange programmes at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen this academic year, we offer you a warm welcome, and we are pleased that you have made a choice for one of our programmes.
Visiting exchange students, who started their programme in September 2020 at the Faculty of Arts, please find your information about the education for semester 1 and our corona guidelines to continue to offer education on our Student Portal.
We realize that you may be apprehensive about what to expect from our education, as a result of the global COVID-19 crisis that has hit all of us quite suddenly these past few months, and how this may have affected your plans to join one of our exchange programmes.
Therefore, we would like to inform you about the arrangements that the faculty has made to facilitate your enrollment starting February 2021.
Effects of COVID-19 on Academic education in The Netherlands
Since the COVID-19 outbreak in mid-March, like all Dutch universities, the University of Groningen switched to online teaching in most programmes. For academic education that started in September, most programmes are continued online, with some small-scale education on campus where possible. This includes exchange programmes.
We want to make it perfectly clear, that the Faculties’ aim is to deliver on-campus education as much as opportunity provides for. The current situation regarding COVID-19 will require us to offer education within the 1.5 meter distance, in the interest of everybody’s’ safety and health. Rest assured that we would use every inch of space made available to increase physical attendance to courses, lectures and seminars, on the condition that it is safe. Our prime concern is your health. We want you to be able to follow the programme of your choice and stay safe and healthy while you do so.
Attendance and arrival
Visiting exchange students, who start their programme in February 2021 at the Faculty of Arts, should be able and willing to start their exchange at the University of Groningen no later than late January. The second semester of 2020-2021 will start on February 1. Introduction activities are scheduled in the last week of January. Some of them may have transitioned to online activities. For your proper acquaintance with the University and the City of Groningen, we recommend that you participate in those activities.
Depending on your original destination or university, travel may be restricted for you. If that is the case, please contact the exchange office at exchange.in.arts rug.nl to see how we can accommodate you.
Your experience in Groningen as an exchange student autumn 2020
Groningen is a vibrant student town with lots of activity, bars and restaurants where students like to gather- within the 1,5 m. distance rule! Groningen hosts over 60,000 students enrolled at two Universities so you will not easily find yourself alone.
For your consideration
We would like to point out some considerations regarding your intended exchange to Groningen:
- Exchange students often travel within Europe, while they are on their exchange, either for courses or for fun. In that respect, your opportunities might be restricted compared to the world before COVID-19. Also in this respect, we now see countries slowly opening up. However, there is no guarantee that this will remain so.
- When you come to Groningen you will probably be living in an International Student House (SSH). The SSH has already implemented measures to deal with the COVID-19 crisis.
- Dutch Corona-policy and exit strategy:
You may want to familiarize yourself with the Dutch approach to the COVID-19 crisis, before you come to Groningen. Please consult the Dutch Government corona policy website at https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2020/05/19/tackling-coronavirus-the-next-step.
- You may also want to consult the statistics on Corona in The Netherlands on the website of the Dutch Institute for Public Health (RIVM): https://www.rivm.nl/en. Please note that Groningen has one of the lowest COVID-19 infection- and mortality rates in Europe.
A few practical issues
- If you book a room with SSH, you can cancel until 4 weeks before the starting date of your rental agreement you will then be reimbursed for the pre-paid rental sums but you will NOT be reimbursed for the approximately Euro 75 administration fee that SSH charges you.
- As of this moment, a list of courses open to exchange students is not yet available. We are working on making that list available as soon as possible, and will inform you about the updated course list. You will receive the assessment of your course selection in week 51. In the meantime, we advise exchange students to select their courses based on the course list currently available. Please be aware that these courses may be taught online, may be cancelled, or may not be open to exchange students after all.
- Should you need to postpone your exchange to next academic year, we kindly ask to have your home university send us a new nomination.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your exchange, please do not hesitate to contact us at exchange.in.arts rug.nl
|Last modified:||20 October 2020 09.02 a.m.|