Assistant Professor Sustainability & Environmental Sciences (0.7 FTE) (220363)
UCF invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of Assistant Professor Sustainability & Environmental Sciences. You are expected to contribute to the development of the educational and research domain of earth system sciences, environmental studies and science and technology studies, specifically with regard to interdisciplinary research integrating methods of the natural and social sciences to assess the connections between the global environment and human activities. Furthermore, you will teach and develop courses in the Major Responsible Planet within the BSc Global Responsibility & Leadership. You will have the unique opportunity to combine education with research and shape the emerging research programme. Finally, we are highly committed to building a diverse and dynamic academic community in Leeuwarden, and we expect a similar commitment from all our academic staff.
The candidate will:
● support the development of the Major “Responsible Planet”, and contribute to the development of the three tracks (Earth and Environment, Knowledge Systems for Sustainability, and Energy Transition) including teaching and curriculum development
● conduct research independently as well as together with student-researchers in your own domain of research as part of the UCF curriculum in so-called “living lab” projects
● contribute to the existing research lines, from advice to actual research and supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students
● acquire funding for new research activities and actively look for (international) partners to build consortia.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with demonstrated research and teaching potential and a strong research background, with proven affinity for interdisciplinary approaches. Research expertise that involves data, modelling or digital infrastructures is especially suited to the working environment, facilities and research lines of Campus Fryslan.
The ideal candidate has:
● a PhD in Environmental Studies, Sustainability Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Earth Sciences or a comparable domain
● the demonstrated capacity to deliver research outcomes which are of interest both to a variety of stakeholders (experts and other actors)
● the ability to conduct academic research as reflected in an established record of publications in leading scientific journals
● the willingness to apply an inter- and transdisciplinary perspective to research and education
● the capacity to teach bachelor students in small-scale settings and conduct research together with them in living lab settings in your own area of expertise
● an international and proactive outlook fitting to a new and dynamic organisation
● excellent command of the English language, including good communication skills; Dutch language abilities would be an asset
● a University Teaching Qualification, or the willingness to acquire this qualification within two years after the starting date.
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues. Technology and data related issues represent a fast-growing and cross-cutting aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities. The Campus’ motivated team values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
Within Campus Fryslân, you will primarily be working at University College Fryslân (UCF). UCF is a new university college, inspired by the UN Agenda for Sustainable Development. UCF offers a BSc in Global Responsibility & Leadership. This bachelor is a broad, scientifically rigorous, interdisciplinary programme with three Majors (Responsible Governance, Responsible Humanity, and Responsible Planet). The programme has a strong emphasis on digital research and leadership development. Through small-scale and intensive education, you will work together with ambitious student-researchers to help them acquire the knowledge and skills that are necessary to design solutions for global challenges and become change agents for sustainable development.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary appropriate to the level of appointment from a minimum of € 3,746 to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11)
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end allowance.
The appointment can be made for either a lecturer position (teaching only) or for an assistant professor position (teaching and research). The opening for a UD is for 0.7 FTE for 8 months, with possible extension for the remainder of 2 year period, based on performance and size of the student body. The opening for a lecturer is for 0.4 FTE for 8 months, with possible promotion to a UD contract for the remainder of a 2 year period, based on performance and size of the student body.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• a curriculum vitae including a list of publications and other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
• a statement on teaching, detailing courses taught or developed
• email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The starting date for this position is as soon as possible.
You can submit your application until 15 November 11:59pm / before 16 November 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews will take place in the last week of November 2020. The interview will consist of two parts: the interview (30 minutes) and a mock lecture (15 minutes) during which you will demonstrate your knowledge of the research domain and showcase your teaching capabilities.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr J.A. Beaulieu, j.a.beaulieu rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
|Last modified:||29 October 2020 3.08 p.m.|