After being admitted you have to find a place to live in Leeuwarden. A place you can call home. The good news is that you will find relatively easy a suiting accommodation in Leeuwarden. Students often rent a room in a shared house or an apartment with other students. Not your style? Then you might want to opt for a one-bedroom or studio apartment. Real estate agents or private landlords advertise their rooms on different platforms. Please note: for first-year GRL students, student housing is provided by UCF.
How to find a student room, studio or apartment in Leeuwarden
There are several platforms which publish vacant rooms, apartments, studio’s in Leeuwarden. Some of these are free to join, others ask a registration fee or a monthly fee.
- Student Stay
- Markt 058
- Xior student housing
- Rooms in Leeuwarden
You can also check Facebook where you will find several pages and groups like:
The costs of renting accommodation in Leeuwarden
The bigger the place, the higher the price. Also location and your preference for a furnished or unfurnished room affects the rent. Prices vary from around 300 to 550 euro (and up) per month. It is common practice that your landlord asks to sign a 12 month contract and to pay a month’s rent as a security deposit.
A few things to keep in mind
- Many students will be trying to find a place to live at the beginning of the academic year and during the summer months. It’s therefore wise to start looking for a room as early as possible.
- Always use official websites or companies that you can trace to a physical address.
- The agency costs and rental fees of both commercial agencies and private landlords can be high. Remain critical, visit the room beforehand and always read your contract carefully.
- Do not pay anything before you have a written contract and always ask for a receipt of payment.
- Be aware of scammers. If the rent looks too good to be true for the location/type of housing, or the pictures are unidentifiable, you might be looking at something that is not genuine.
- Avoid identity theft: never send a copy of your passport to strangers.
- If you wish to rent a room in a building that has three or more residents, you should check if the proprietor has the correct permit.
- Do not go to a viewing alone. If possible, take a Dutch speaker with you.
|Last modified:||29 July 2021 11.42 a.m.|