Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Over onsFaculteit der LetterenOrganisatieDiensten en voorzieningenMobility OfficeStudy AbroadStep 4: Preparation

Visas and residence permits

Studying abroad: ‘Look at the world from a different perspective’

Residence permit

Although a system of free movement of people and goods applies within the EU, it is still a good idea to check whether you need a residence permit or have to report to the Aliens Police if you are staying somewhere for a longer period of time.
Most EU countries will grant you a residence permit on presentation of the following documents (always check this with your host university!):

  • valid passport
  • proof of enrolment in the relevant university as an exchange student
  • declaration of health insurance, either in the national language or in English
  • declaration stating that you have sufficient funds to support yourself.

You must always apply for a residence permit if you will be staying in a non-EU country for more than three months. You must report to the Aliens Police within eight days of your arrival in your new university city.


In addition to a residence permit, in some non-EU countries you will also need a visa. Please contact the relevant exchange programme’s contact person for more information. Start the visa application well in advance, because these procedures may take up several weeks.

More information

Information about residence permits and visas can be obtained from embassies and consulates as well as from your Host university.

Laatst gewijzigd:24 juni 2016 13:26