Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Over onsFaculteit der LetterenOrganisatieDiensten en voorzieningenMobility OfficeStudy AbroadStep 4: Preparation

Student finance and student travel pass

Studying abroad: ‘Look at the world from a different perspective’

Student finance (Dutch students who receive study support from DUO)

You will be entitled to student finance during a study period abroad under the following conditions:

  • The course units you follow abroad must form part of your degree programme in the Netherlands
  • You must be registered as a full-time student in the Netherlands.

These conditions are automatically met if you go abroad via a recognized exchange programme, which means you will continue to receive student finance. The conditions with regard to study duration will continue to apply during your study period abroad.

You are entitled to an advance on your student finance five weeks before your departure. Please contact DUO for this. You must present a statement from your institution indicating the period involved and stating that it concerns a necessary component of your degree programme. The Mobility Office can prepare such statement for you.

It is a good idea to authorize a relative or friend to arrange your student finance matters for you. This means that the authorized person can sign your forms and send them to DUO, along with a declaration of authorization. You will, however, remain responsible for your student finance matters yourself.

Student travel pass
You are entitled to a monthly allowance if you temporarily hand in your student travel pass before you leave for a study period or placement abroad. You can arrange this via the form Aanvragen Ov-vergoeding Buitenland, which can be downloaded from the DUO website. You should return this form to DUO two months before your departure. The form must be signed on behalf of the institution – this can be arranged by the Mobility Office.

Laatst gewijzigd:05 oktober 2016 16:34