Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Over onsFaculteit der LetterenOrganisatieDiensten en voorzieningenMobility OfficeStudy AbroadStep 1: Orientation

Step 1: Orientation

Studying abroad: ‘Look at the world from a different perspective’

There are a number of questions that you should ask yourself if you want to continue your studies, or part thereof, abroad, for example: why do I want to go abroad, to study or to conduct research? What should I decide on first, my country of choice or my degree programme? How long do I want to be away? Do I want to follow lectures in English or learn a new language?

Talk to people

Although no-one but you can answer these questions for you, talking to professors, lecturers, departmental exchange coordinators, study advisers or the placement coordinator may help you gain insight into the choices and the various pros and cons, and thus reach a conclusion as to what would suit you best.

When and for how long can you go abroad?

The third year is generally speaking the most suitable year to go abroad. You could, for example, follow your minor abroad during the first semester of your third year. Try to incur as little study delay as possible by dovetailing your stay abroad as well as possible to your study obligations in the Netherlands – in other words, check what you still have to do and whether the course units you follow abroad will count towards your degree. You should therefore always discuss matters with your study advisor or departmental exchange coordinator.

A small number of students choose to study abroad during their master. Be aware, however, that you might be restricted in the available Master courses at most Host universities and that it is harder to get the courses approved for your Master degree in Groningen. Doing an internship abroad is in general a better option if you would like to go abroad during your master.

The duration of your grant may also determine the length of your stay. Grants may vary in duration from 3 to 12 months. Most students however, will spend one semester abroad.
Bear in mind that an academic year abroad may be structured differently to that in the Netherlands and that you might have to discuss the overlap with your semester in Groningen with the Host and your RUG study adviser.

Where can you go?

Partner universities
The Faculty of Arts and the University of Groningen have entered into partnerships with a number of universities. Partner universities will not charge you tuition fees since you are a paying student at the University of Groningen, liable for tuition fees in the Netherlands and thus exempt from paying tuition fees at your host university. You will also continue to be eligible for student finance from DUO.
In addition, you will be eligible for an Erasmus or Marco Polo grant, you will have access to your host university’s facilities, credits earned for completed course units will be recognized and reception, accommodation and introduction are usually arranged for you by the host.

As a student of the Faculty of Arts, you can choose between an exchange to:

Universities without exchange agreements
You can also choose to go to a university that the University of Groningen does not have an exchange agreement with. In that case you will be considered a Free Mover.

Summer or Winter School
If you would like to study abroad, but you cannot fit in a full semester or more in your study programme, a Summer or Winter School might be a nice alternative for you.

Negative Travel Advice
You should keep in mind that it is the policy of the Board of the University that travel will not be permitted to destinations for which negative travel advice has been issued, so make sure to check the travel advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before you apply for an exchange and before you depart to your country of exchange.

Download the 24/7 app from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to keep up to date about the travel advice of your exchange country. It is also strongly recommended to register your international travel plans with the Embassy of your home country. Please check the website of your embassy for more information.

Which course units will you be taking abroad?

Once you have decided where you want to go (which country and which university), you can orientate on the courses you wish to take. You can do this by checking your host university’s website, discussing matters with your degree programme’s contact person or reading fellow students’ reports. Reports from students who went on exchange before you can be read at the Mobility Office desk, first floor Harmonie building. Note that there are no ready-made programmes, and that you thus need to choose your own course units.

Keep in mind that you will not have make your definite course selection until you are selected for a university. Definitive programmes and course lists will also mostly only be ready at a late stage and admittance to courses depends on availability and entry requirements set by the host university.

Especially with Erasmus partners, course selection is usually restricted to the subject area for that agreement. For example: a partner from the department of History will mostly only let you take the majority of your courses in that area.

Information Session on studying abroad

The exchange information for 2019-2020 will be presented during a Study Abroad Fair & Information Sessions. On top of this session, some programmes organize their own information session. Your study adviser can inform you further about this.

Laatst gewijzigd:20 april 2018 10:43