Mathematics Entrance Exam and Summer Course
The FEB Mathematics Entrance Exam and Summer Course are meant for:
- Prospective students who wish to meet the mathematics requirements for admission to one of the study programmes of the Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB).
- Prospective students that have obtained/are to obtain a HBO propaedeutic certificate (60 ECTS) and have passed only HAVO mathematics in their high school curriculum.
- Prospective students for a FEB Pre-MSc programme who wish to brush up their knowledge of mathematics (60 EC Pre-MSc programmes, exam not mandatory) or need to provide a VWO-A level certificate before entering the Master programme (30/45 EC standard Pre-MSc programmes, exam mandatory).
James Boswell mathematics test
Mathematics tests from other institutions
Important notes: a summer course registration includes the opportunity to join the August exam, you do not need to register for the exam separately. Also, the summer course has a cap of 84 participants (including online participants).
Go directly to:
- Entrance exam dates and registration deadlines
- Material for the entrance exam
- Preparation for the exam
- Online entrance test for students from abroad
- Summer course mathematics and registration deadline
- Contact information
FEB Mathematics Entrance Exam dates in 2022
- April 19, 2022, 10:00-13:00 (registration deadline: April 12, 2022)
- August 15, 2022, 12:00-15:00 (registration deadline: August 9, 2022)
- Participation fee: EUR 100
The entrance exam takes place on-campus and is offered in Dutch as well as in English.
Material for the FEB Mathematics Entrance Exam covers for example
- Solving linear and quadratic equations and inequalities
- Solving systems of two or three linear equations
- Solving exponential and logarithmic equations and inequalities
- Determining derivatives of functions (using basic rules, rules for sums, products, and quotients, and the chain rule)
- Investigating functions (solving equal to zero, minima/maxima, inflection points, drawing graphs, domain)
Note: Future students of the BSc programme Econometrics and Operations Research have an extended exam.
Preparation for the FEB Mathematics Entrance Exam
- FEB Mathematics Summer Course
- Exercises and information on the summer course on Student Portal. Using small caps, log in with username: 'gaststudent' and password: 'hbo'. Go to 'Math Summercourse' under 'Courses'. The exercises do not include solutions.
- Textbook: 'Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis', sixth (or fifth) edition, by Sydsaeter, Hammond, Strom and Carvajal.
- Sample test:
Online test for prospective students from abroad
An online option to meet the mathematics entry requirements is available for students from abroad:
- BSc Bedrijfskunde/Business Administration: Online Mathematics Placement Test-A (or, in short, OMPT-A).
- BSc International Business: OMPT-A
- BSc Economics and Business Economics: OMPT-A
- BSc of Econometrics and Operations Research: Online Mathematics Placement Test-B (OMPT-B).
The OMPTs are offered by SOWISO. SOWISO is not part of the University, but the result of their online test is accepted for admission purposes.
- The OMPT is remotely proctored;
- After registration you choose the date and time for the exam yourself;
- A score of at minimum 60% is required;
- You may take at most two attempts per year to pass the OMPT;
Wish to apply for the OMPT? Contact us first via math.feb rug.nl.
FEB Mathematics Summer Course
Every year in August we offer an intensive five day mathematics summer course. Each morning plenary lectures are offered online, during which the theory is explained and examples are demonstrated. Thereafter, tutorials are held in smaller groups. You can opt to take part in these tutorials on campus or online. During the tutorials, you have time to solve problems by yourself and there is a teacher available to help you with all problems you encounter. The general lectures are given in English. However, during the tutorials it is also possible to ask questions in Dutch.
Summer course 2022
- August 8 to 12, 2022, 9:00-18:00 (registration deadline: July 24, 2022)
- Intensive one-week course
- New: you will be offered the choice to either follow all course components online, or only follow the plenary lecturers online and attend the tutorials on-campus. State your preference in your registration.
- Maximum number of participants: 84
- Participation fee: EUR 475
- Course participants are automatically registered for the August FEB Mathematics Entrance Exam without an additional exam fee.
It is useful to have the book 'Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis', sixth (or fifth) edition, by Sydsaeter, Hammond, Strom and Carvajal before the start of the course. The book contains the material that will be covered in the course. Please note that the subjects that are assessed in the extended exam for prospective students of Econometrics and Operations Research are not discussed in the course. On the first day of the course each participant will receive:
- a syllabus that includes the slides of the lectures with all relevant theory;
- a list with important facts;
- the exercises for the tutorials and homework exercises;
- test exams.
It is also possible to enroll only for the exam, without taking the course. The exam takes three hours and will take place on the first Monday after the course. The test is offered in Dutch as well as in English.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us:
- The FEB Mathematics Entrance Exam, Summer Course or OMPT: math.feb rug.nl
- Admission requirements for study programmes of the Faculty of Economics and Business: feb.bsc.admission rug.nl
- HBO-propaedeutic certificate applicants can contact the Central Student Administration: study rug.nl
- The procedure for the colloquium doctum (entrance exam): transfer.feb rug.nl
|Last modified:||13 January 2022 09.02 a.m.|