Payment of tuition fees
An overview of the payment possibilities
Conditions for direct debit payment of tuition fees
For which date do I have to pay the tuition fees?Pay the tuition fees or arrange a (digital) direct debit payment before the start date of your degree programme.
- Start date 1 September: the university must have received your payment no later than 31 August*.
- Start date 1 February: the university must have received your payment no later than 31 January*.
An academic year runs from 1 September to 31 August.
- If you start on 1 September, you pay (initially) for twelve months.
- If you start on 1 February, you pay for the period from February to August (seven months). If you continue with your degree programme as of 1 September, you will pay again from 1 September to 31 August.
If you deregister, you may be entitled to a refund of (part of) the tuition fees.
* For non-EU students, other deadlines may apply due to immigration procedure.
Pay tuition fees as a lump sum or in instalments
What must I do if somebody else will pay my tuition fees?When filling in the payment details in Studielink, you indicate that someone else pays your tuiton fees.
The tuition fees can be paid by
- a direct debit payment or a personal payment instruction to the bank.
- an invoice.
Can I modify my payment details in Studielink?No, after confirmation, normally you can no longer modify the entered payment details in Studielink. Some (payment) details can be modified, please visit Studielink for more information.
If not, please contact Student Information & Administration by using the link 'Ask your question' below if you wish to modify these details.
Regulations for registration and tuition feesThe Regulations for registration and tuition fees set out the (legal) conditions for registration and tuition fees at the University of Groningen.
More information can be found on the Regulations for registration and tuition fees page or our website.
Can I pay in cash?
Can I pay my tuition fees via Tikkie?
Only if you have signed a direct debit mandate but the payment has failed.
What is Tikkie?
Tikkie is a ABN AMRO app you can use to make a payment using iDEAL via SMS, for example. Go to the Tikkie website for more information.
You can pay using Tikkie if you satisfy the following conditions:
- You have a Dutch bank account
- You have a smartphone
- The UG knows your Dutch mobile number
- You have issued an authorization to pay in one time. (It is then possible to pay in advance with Tikkie.)
- You have signed a direct debit mandate but the payment failed
How does Tikkie work?
- You are sent an SMS with a payment link.
- Click on the link and pay part or all of the tuition fees via the iDEAL environment.
Why would I want to pay via Tikkie?
Via Tikkie you can pay the tuition fees in a quick and simple way. This can be done prior to the new academic year or you can rectify a failed payment. This has the advantage that your UG account will not be blocked if you pay immediately.
However, you are not obliged to pay via Tikkie.
How to inform the UG of your mobile number?
You can let the UG know your mobile number via Studielink.