Halving statutory tuition fees for first-year students
Why halving tuition fees for first-year students?The Dutch government is halving tuition fees for first-year students in higher education. Students taking teacher training courses are eligible for the reduced fee for two years. Those who meet all the conditions will pay:
- € 1,041 in 2019-2020 instead of € 2,083
- € 1,071 in 2020-2021 instead of € 2,143
Bachelor's degree programmes at Campus Fryslân and University College Groningen are subject to a 50% discount on the statutory tuition fees for first-year students.
Those who meet all the conditions will pay:
- € 3,178 in 2020-2021 instead of € 4,249.
Conditions for reduced tuition fee in first year
You pay half of the statutory tuition fee for your first year if:
- you are entering Dutch higher education (university and university of applied sciences) for the first time in or after the 2018/2019 academic year;
- you are enrolled in a bachelor's or associate degree programme;
- the statutory fee applies to you. This means you are a full-time, part-time or dual-course student at a public-funded Dutch higher education institution. Including students at, for example, the Open University and university colleges.
Conditions for reduced tuition fee in second year of initial teacher education
You pay half of the statutory tuition fee for a second year if:
- you are entering Dutch higher education for the first time in or after the 2018/2019 academic year;
- you are enrolled in initial teacher education at a Dutch higher education institution; and
- the statutory fee is applicable to you.
Lower fee also applies to master's degree in teaching
If you are starting a bachelor's degree programme in 2018/2019, you will be eligible for the reduced tuition fee for a master's degree in initial teacher education in or after 2021/2022.
Full tuition fee for other students
You must pay the full tuition fee if you:
- were enrolled in a Dutch higher education institution before the 2018/2019 academic year;
- are taking a master's degree programme;
- are paying the non-statutory fee set by your higher education institution;
- are enrolled in a privately-funded higher education insitution;
- are participating in the demand-driven funding experiment (experiment vraag financiering).
What happens if I have already paid my tuition fees?If you have already paid the tuition fees and you are eligible for the above scheme, we will ensure that you receive the excess of the tuition fees as soon as possible.
If you have already signed the authorization for the full amount and you qualify for the above scheme, the RUG will collect the halved rate.
Infographic halving statutory tuiton fees: what applies to you? (in Dutch)
Where do I find more information?
More information about the reduced tuition fee for first-year students can be found on the Higher education tuition fees for first-year students from 2018/2019 academic year of the Government of the Netherlandse website.