Strategic plan 2015-2020
The University of Groningen is an ambitious international research university, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. The University of Groningen creates and shares knowledge through outstanding research, teaching, and learning. Our university has an academic tradition dating back to 1614 with a rich heritage resulting in a unique academic community with a strong sense of belonging and a culture of innovative teaching and research.
At the University of Groningen research is based on strong core disciplines. Research and education are curiosity driven with a close relation to global societal needs.
In Groningen we believe that exceptional teaching, learning, and research depend on a diverse academic community, with a broad variety of nationalities and talents. Research, valorisation, and education are closely intertwined and performed in an environment of academic freedom. Therewith, we prepare our students to become active, independent, critical, and responsible global citizens able to contribute to solving the scientific and societal challenges of tomorrow.
The following five ambitions for 2020 are derived from this vision and are central to our strategy:
- The University of Groningen will strengthen its position as an international academic community with strong local roots by establishing branch campuses and international joint universities. In an international setting both research and education benefit from diverse perspectives and approaches necessary to solve big societal questions and challenges;
- We support researchers to work on new, high risk ideas by fostering an innovative and entrepreneurial attitude. Fundamental disciplinary and cross-disciplinary research, and innovative interaction with society are central to the research driven education we provide;
- In Groningen we expect students to be committed and responsible participants in teaching and learning. Activating the student therefore is the focus of our educational strategy;
- Putting knowledge to use is a key responsibility of our university. In Groningen dissemination of knowledge and converting knowledge into sustainable economic and societal processes, services and business activities is a cornerstone of university strategy;
- The acknowledgement of a shared responsibility for university strategy, management, and operation is reflected in a continuous process of discussion and negotiation with staff and students about the future of our institution. The point of departure for this process is trust with a recognition of the different formal roles. Accountability and transparency with regards to quality and funding are fundamental in this respect.
With this strategy for 2020 the University of Groningen is confident that it can continue and expand its position as a prestigious international research university in the next five years.
|Last modified:||15 July 2019 2.35 p.m.|