Application form and procedure
Procedure for submitting an application for an MD/PhD programme
1. The student has found a PhD supervisor(/research supervisor) and they complete the application form together, in English. Because it is a personal application, obviously the student himself or herself will write most of the application. It must be made clear in the application that the student has done demonstrable prior work in the research line of the PhD research. Commitment is proved by at least one publication or manuscript with the student as first author (original paper, no review, no shared authorschip) that has been submitted to an international journal . The organizational context of the PhD research must be one of the five research institutes (GUIDE, BCN, SHARE, CRCG and Kolff Institute) of the UMCG’s Medical Sciences Graduate School. The student has not fallen behind with the training programme by the end of year 4 (M1), the point at which an MD/PhD programme is submitted. Complete applications must be signed, may not be bound, must be printed single-sided and submitted in 2-fold (original and copy) at the JSM Office. Incomplete application will be rejected immediately. The official applicant is the research supervisor/PhD supervisor.
2. Along with the application form, the student writes a job application (in English) including a curriculum vitae addressed to the Chair of the JSM, Prof. S.A. Scherjon.
3. The application must include the student’s work plan and the planned starting date of the student’s clerkships (approval by Dr J.M. van der Mark, clerkship manager at the Institute for Medical Education, is required).
4. To supplement the MD/PhD appointment, the UMCG Board also makes a 'bench fee' available. Should the project budget exceed this, then it is assumed that the department will provide the rest of the funding. The application must include a budget.
5. The deadlines for submitting applications for MD/PhD programmes are 1 September 2020 (this year only), 1 December 2020 (this year only) 1 June 2021 and 1 October 2021. Deadline all data 04.00 P.M.! (16.00)
6. The JSM Programme Group first checks that the applications are complete. Incomplete applications (see check list application form; i.e. no "proof of submission", no first authorship, no signatures) will be rejected immediately. Then the MD/PhD Assessment Committee assesses the applications. Candidates must give a short presentation (in English, and with a maximum of 3 power point slides) and are in person (a.o. no skype interviewed by a few members of the Committee. It is important to realize that an application for an MD/PhD programme is a personal application. The MD/PhD programme is intended to improve the career opportunities of a future physician-scientist. This means that the candidate herself or himself is at least as important as the research plan. The Committee will assess the applications on the basis of the elements referred to above (the candidate’s CV, his or her presentation during the interview and the candidate’s results in the preceding period (publications)), and of course the quality and feasibility of the research proposals. Then the Assessment Committee makes recommendations to the Dean of Education, the five scientific directors (GUIDE, BCN, SHARE, CRCG and Kolff Institute) and the Chair of the JSM, who will together make the final decision about approving the applications.
Dr J.M. van der Mark - van der Wouden
T.: 050 - 363.8263
e-mail: j.m.van.der.mark umcg.nl
|Last modified:||31 August 2020 12.31 p.m.|