Other useful information
Arrival and departure date
- We advise exchange students to arrive well before the start of the semester, so that they have the opportunity to arrange the necessary formalities and get acquainted with the town and the university.
- When planning the journey to Groningen, students should keep in mind that students arriving late are not guaranteed admission to classes.
- The exam dates of all written exams are set and announced at the beginning of the year.
- Once the dates of the written exams are set, the dates of written exams cannot be changed. Students should take this into account when planning their journey home. An early flight home is not accepted as a reason for granting a special exam arrangement.
From Schiphol Airport to Groningen
There is a regular train service from Schiphol Airport railway station to Groningen. The entrance to the railway station is signposted in the arrival hall. It is important for students to purchase a train ticket to Groningen before they board the train. A single second class ticket Schiphol-Groningen costs approximately € 30. The train journey takes about 2.5 hours.
There is a direct train to Groningen every hour, but students can also take the train which goes in the direction of Hilversum and change trains in Amersfoort. Students should make sure to board one of the carriages marked with the destination Groningen, because the other part of the train will travel to Leeuwarden. To plan your journey go to www.9292.nl
- The Netherlands has a very good network of public transport. For students who intend to travel by train a lot, it may be worthwhile to buy a season ticket.
- The OV-chipkaart is the means of payment for the public transport system in the Netherlands. The OV-chipkaart can be loaded with credit in euros at train and bus stations, post offices and supermarkets. The OV-chipkaart can then be used to travel anywhere within the Netherlands, by bus, train, trolley car etc.
- To plan your journey go to www.9292.nl
The Dutch climate is characterised by cool summers and fairly mild winters. In winter people may need a warm winter coat. There can be cold spells in spring and autumn. Usually the temperature varies between 5 and 15 degrees Celsius during those months. In the summer months (June to September) people need summer clothes, but also a raincoat. More on Dutch weather.
- Shops in Groningen are usually open from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Supermarkets close at 8.00 p.m., sometimes later.
- On Monday mornings many shops are closed.
- Most shops close at 5.00 p.m. on Saturdays.
- On Thursday night shops are open until 9.00 p.m.
- On Sunday most shops are open from 12 o’clock to 5.00 p.m.
Groningen has an enormous variety of restaurants. You have a choice of Chinese, Italian, Israeli, Mexican, Greek, Indonesian, and Indian restaurants, to name but a few. There is also the possibility to dine in many cafes, where meals are served for a relatively low price (about € 15).
Buy a bicycle
In Groningen everybody rides a bicycle. Students can buy second-hand bicycles at several locations in Groningen: bicycle shops, market, and central train station. During the university introduction there will also be possibilities to buy a bicycle. Twice a month there is a public bicycle sale hosted by the Environment Service of the Municipality of Groningen. During this sale students will be able to buy a bike for €35 - € 45.The public sale starts at 8.30 a.m. at the Oude Boteringestraat 18 and from 7.30 a.m. on service numbers will be handed out. Students should make sure to arrive on time, as the sale is very popular and bikes are sold on a first come first served basis. Please always make sure to invest in a good lock!
|Last modified:||09 January 2019 2.37 p.m.|