Call for new members
What does YESS BSS do?
YESS BSS is a network of enthusiastic early career academic staff within the Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences (BSS). YESS BSS has made it its mission to:
Bring together early career academic staff to:
- Encourage (interdisciplinary) cooperation
- Exchange experiences and stimulate best practices
- To help early career researchers advance within the faculty and in their career
- Give early career academic staff a voice in faculty policy.
In order to achieve their goals, YESS BSS
- Organizes employment- and network-related events, targeted at early career staff within BSS
- Regularly meets with the board of the faculty to exchange views on policies and perspectives pertaining to early career staff, for example, discussions about the current/future tenure track and the strategic plan
- Discusses science policy, for example open science practices
- Creates opportunities for networking specifically for early career staff
YESS BSS offers advantages for its members:
- Meet other enthusiastic and engaged early career researchers to establish (interdisciplinary) partnerships
- Participate in the annual skills week and get targeted advice on career-related questions and research activities
- Access to the annual YESS BSS research grant which funds research projects with up to 5’000 Euros led by a YESS BSS member
- Have a voice in faculty policy making.
Who can become a member of YESS BSS
YESS BSS consists of a maximum of 12 members who choose their own board. This incoming board consists of Lisette de Jonge-Hoekstra and Thijs Bouman. We are currently recruiting members who are interested in being involved in any of the following working groups: Open Science, stress in academia, career perspectives (for tenure track and non-tenure track careers), funding & team science, and valorization & visibility. For more information about the working groups, please check https://www.rug.nl/gmw/yess-bss/working-groups. YESS BSS members are usually appointed for two years, however, given the current situation shorter appointments might be possible. YESS BSS organizes their own election protocol for its new members. The final selection of the new members has to be approved by the Faculty Board.
Diversity in terms of strengths (research, education, valorization, management) and faculty research institute will be taken into account when selecting new members.
Conditions of membership:
- Member of the academic staff of the Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences
- Member has obtained the PhD degree a maximum of 10 years before the start of the YESS BSS appointment (starting date for the next cohort is September 1, 2022, so PhD should not have been obtained prior to August 31 2012). This period can be extended with a maximum of two years in case of pregnancy (12 months per child), illness, care or parental leave.
- Enthusiasm for academia and the faculty
Candidates can apply by sending in their CV and a Letter of Motivation of no more than 500 words including answers to the following questions:
- What makes you an excellent candidate for membership to the YESS BSS?
- To which working groups (open Science, stress in academia, career perspectives, funding & team science, valorization & visibility) would you be interested in contributing to and why? What initiative would you like to contribute to or launch as part of your membership? The goal of the initiative is to improve the academic lives of early career researchers.
Please include a statement on the feasibility of your contribution if your contract ends within the next 2 years.
Applications for the next cohort starting September 1, 2022 can be sent to yess-bss rug.nl until Monday July 4, 2022.
|Last modified:||09 June 2022 3.34 p.m.|