Mathematics summer course and entrance exam
The mathematics summer course and the entrance exam are meant for:
- Candidates who wish to brush up their knowledge of mathematics and meet the mathematics requirements for admission to one of the Faculty's programmes.
- Prospective students that have obtained/are to obtain a HBO propaedeutic certificate (60 ECTS) and have passed only HAVO mathematics in their high school curriculum, are obliged to pass the Faculty's mathematics entrance exam.
- Prospective students for a FEB Pre-MSc programme - for whom passing the entrance exam is not obligatory - who wish to brush up their knowledge of mathematics can also register for the course and exam.
Please note that it is not yet possible to take the test abroad.
Go directly to:
- Entrance exam dates
- Material for the entrance exam
- Preparation for the exam
- Summer course mathematics
- Contact information
Entrance exam dates in 2019
- Thursday, April 11, 10:00-13:00.
Deadline for registration: Sunday April 7, 2019.
- Monday, August 12, 12:00-15:00.
Deadline for registration: Sunday August 4, 2019.
- Participation fee: EUR 100
The test is offered in Dutch as well as in English.
Material for the entrance exam covers for example
- Solving linear and quadratic equations and inequalities
- Solving systems of two or three linear equations
- Solving exponential and logarithmic equations and inequalities
- Determining derivatives of functions (using basic rules, rules for sums, products, and quotients, and the chain rule)
- Investigating functions (solving equal to zero, minima/maxima, inflection points, drawing graphs, domain)
NB: Future students of the BSc programme Econometrics and Operations Research have an extended exam.
Preparation for the Math entrance test
- FEB intensive summer course
- You can find the course about Math Summer course via Student Portal (student account is needed). Using small caps, you can login with Username: 'gaststudent' and Password: 'hbo'. Go to 'EWBMATHSUM: Math Summer course' under 'My Courses'. This course covers the Math topics that are examined in the Maths Entrance Examination, and mock exam questions and answers are provided.
- Textbook: 'Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis', fourth (or fifth) edition, by Knut Sydsaeter and Peter Hammond.
- Sample Mathematics Entrance Test English (version 2016/06/20)
- Sample Mathematics Entrance Test Dutch (version 2016/06/20)
Sample Mathematics Entrance Test: Solutions (version 2016/06/20)
Mathematics tests from other institutions : If you have passed another type of mathematics test, then you need to contact the Admission Office of the Faculty as soon as possible as this test is most probably not sufficient for admission purposes. The mathematics test from the James Boswell Instituut is not permitted for admission purposes. The same goes for CCVX certificates.
Summer course mathematics
The course takes five days. Each morning and each afternoon starts with a plenary lecture, during which the theory will be explained and examples will be demonstrated. Thereafter, tutorials will be held in smaller groups. During these tutorials, you have time to solve problems by yourself and there is a teacher available to help you with all problems you encounter. The general lectures are given in English. However, during the tutorials it is also possible to ask questions in Dutch.
Summer course 2019
- Monday August 5 to Friday August 9, 9:00-18:00. Deadline for registration: Sunday July 28, 2019.
- Intensive one-week course
- Maximum number of participants: 60
- Participation fee: EUR 475
Following the course gives access to one exam.
The book 'Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis', fourth (or fifth) edition, by Knut Sydsaeter and Peter Hammond has to be purchased before the start of the course. Here you can also find the material that will be covered in the course. Please note that the subjects that are assessed in the extended exam for prospective students of Econometrics and Operations Research are not discussed in the course.
On the first day of the course each participant will receive:
- a syllabus that includes the slides of the lectures with all relevant theory;
- a list with important facts;
- the exercises for the tutorials, homework exercises;
- test exams.
It is also possible to enroll only for the exam, without taking the course. The exam takes three hours and will take place on the first Monday after the course. The test will be offered in Dutch as well as in English.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us:
|Last modified:||31 May 2019 1.45 p.m.|