Accessibility of the PhD degree registration office
The PhD degree registration office can only be reached via the email address promoveren rug.nl.
On Monday,Tuesdays and Thursdays, the PhD degree registration office can be reached by telephone between 9:00 am and 2:30 pm on 050 363 5276.
Latest news PhD ceremonies
There are no more restrictions regarding group size of the public attendance during the ceremony.
As of Friday 25 February all restrictions regarding the PhD defense ceremony are cancelled. The advice remans to keep 1.5 meters distance and to wear a face mask in case a large group is attending the reception.
If you are interested to arrange a reception, you can fill in this form.
From 25 February a face mask is no longer mandatory in the Academy Building. Until then, the face mask obligation still applies. We advise you to continue to wear a face mask after 25 February, in case it is difficult to keep a distance of 1.5 meter in the hall or in the auditorium.
The option to participate in a defense ceremony online, for a committee member or for the candidates themselves, will continue to exist. They will receive an invitation via WebEx and an email containing a link to participate.
Within one week the PhD student will receive a link to download the recording of the PhD ceremony.
The PhD ceremony can be attended via a livestream, www.rug.nl/digitalphd.
These guidelines will be valid until further notice.
UG will not assign ISBNs anymore
As of July 10, 2020, the University of Groningen Library (UB) does not assign ISBNs (International Standard Book Numbers) to PhD theses anymore. Article 4.6.2 of the PhD Regulations of the University of Groningen, which obliges PhD students to request two ISBNs for their dissertation, is hereby cancelled. It is also no longer necessary to mention the ISBNs on the back of the title page (as stated in Appendix 2, Article 4.6 of the PhD Regulations).
Nowadays, a DOI (Digital Object Identifier) is more important for the findability of the thesis. After submission via Hora Finita, all dissertations are awarded a DOI by the UB. The PhD student does not have to be apply for the DOI.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact dissertations rug.nl.
Submission of copies of the PhD thesis
The printed version of your thesis (2 copies plus 2 copies of their propositions) can be
- handed in at the Service desk of the University Library (Broerstraat 4), or
- sent to our postal address:
University of Groningen Library
9700 AN Groningen
The electronic versions of the thesis and the propositions must be submitted via Hora Finita .
The times of PhD ceremonies are as follows:
- 9.00 p.m.
- 11.00 a.m.
- 12.45 p.m.
- 2.30 p.m.
- 4.15 p.m.
The PhD Regulations University of Groningen incorporate a number of statutory provisions conform the Higher Education and Research Act (in Dutch: WHW), and a number of conditions laid down by the PhD Board of the University of Groningen. Among other things, the PhD Regulations stipulate who will be allowed admission to the PhD programme and how the supervisors and co-supervisors are appointed, how the thesis shall come into being, and how the Assessment and PhD examining committee shall be composed.
The PhD regulations take effect as of 1 September, 2018 and replace the old regulations.
The most salient changes in comparison with the old PhD regulations are that:
- from now each PhD must be supervised by at least two formal supervisors, namely two full professors (promotores) or one full professor (promotor) and one co-supervisor (copromotor)
- the Graduate School Admissions Committee will make decisions regarding the admission of prospective students to a PhD programme
- a training and supervision plan must be drawn up by the PhD student and the supervisors before the PhD programme begins
- the PhD student will take an academic pledge at the PhD ceremony
- the PhD student will no longer be awarded a PhD degree by the Faculty, but by the University
- the PhD procedure is organised through a digital workflow (the application Hora Finita, information can be obtained from the Graduate Schools)
- the PhD student must deliver an electronic version of the thesis and the propositions
- the PhD student must submit his data with accompanying explanatory notes .
In the menu on the left you can find information about the PhD procedure, a description of the protocol during the PhD ceremony and a list of useful addresses.
|Last modified:||02 March 2022 09.59 a.m.|