Dehue, Prof. Trudy
Trudy Dehue (1951) was a Professor of Theory and History at the UG. She gained a HBO (higher professional education) degree and worked in the field of child and youth psychiatry for some time until she went on to study Psychology and Philosophy at university. In 1990 she gained her PhD cum laude with a thesis on historical changes in the meaning of the concept of ‘science’. She published De depressie-epidemie. Over de plicht het lot in eigen hand te nemen [The depression epidemic. On the duty to control your own destiny]. In this book, Dehue studies the changing meaning of the notion of ‘depression’ and its individual as well as social consequences. In her research Dehue focused in particular on the ‘makeable psyche’, legal versus illegal drugs and how the distinction is made, the history and assumptions of research methods, and the changing meaning of concepts such as ‘research’, ‘objectivity’ and ‘evidence-based’.
Dehue is actively involved in the debate on psychiatric diagnosis. In her opinion, policy emphasizing the self-reliance of mental healthcare patients will backfire. Her book Betere mensen, over gezondheid als keuze en koopwaar (Better people, on health as a choice and and as commodity) was published in 2014. In the book, Dehue argues that variation in types of sciences needs to be retained in the interests of retaining variation in types of people.
In 2019 Dehue was awarded the Academy Medal from the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). The Academy Medal is awarded every other year to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of science in the Netherlands. The prize will be awarded to Dehue for the fact that she started the societal debate on important issues in science.
- Dehue on ADHD and adults (Dutch tv show Brandpunt; in Dutch)
Previously in the news
- Academy Medal for Trudy Dehue
- Dehue on Radio 1 on 'Betere mensen' (in Dutch)
- Dehue at TROS Nieuwsshow on Betere mensen (in Dutch)
- Eigen schuld als je geen pillen slikt (Dutch article in NRC, 27-10-2012 , part 1 and part 2)
- Dehue on the influence of the pharmaceutical industry on DSM-V
- Don't be too sure that happiness is something you can control yourself (Dutch article)
- The much discussed book: De depressie-epidemie
- Dehue to appear in Zomergasten
- More on De Depressie-epidemie and reviews of it
Contact and further information
|Last modified:||20 August 2019 11.27 a.m.|