Input for the new Strategic Plan RUG
In 2015, the University’s Strategic Plan will have to be revised. One of the key features of the revised Strategic Plan will be the research strategy. The Board of the University feels it is important to outline this strategy together with the talented young researchers of the university. Therefore, three meetings with young research talent from Science, Medical Sciences and Social Sciences & Humanities were organized to discuss possible strategic choices concerning research.
During the meetings four general questions were addressed:
- Which research areas have a clear added value for and fit within the research profile of the university but are currently not present but should be present to increase research excellence and the attractiveness of the university for staff and students?
- Where do you see chances for ground-breaking inter-, multi-, cross-disciplinary research between faculties/disciplines? What kind of organizational structure do we need to support this?
- The university has identified three societal themes. In which way can we strengthen and extend these themes? Should there be an additional theme?
- How can the university increase its external funding for research? Which supporting facilities are necessary?
The general outcomes of the discussions were:
- The added value of interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary research is recognized by all participants;
- To enhance this type of research exchange of knowledge and ideas has to be facilitated via focussed strategy meetings or by bringing several disciplines under one roof;
- The three societal themes of the university do not have to be extended. However, the “big” underlying questions should be defined to get young researchers to participate. Also helpful in this aspect could be stimulating interdisciplinary projects with seed money or other forms of appreciation;
- Communication on funding possibilities, current research projects and the expertise of researchers should be improved;
- A good partner programme is vital to attract talent.
Currently the University is implementing these outcomes in the Strategic Plan and in the organization where possible.
Please contact Ineke Ganzeveld, Research & Valorisation
|Laatst gewijzigd:||15 september 2017 15:18|