Frijlink, Prof. Erik
Erik Frijlink (1960, Meppel) has been professor of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmacy at the University of Groningen since 1998. Prior to this, he was head of the Pharmaceutical Development department at Solvay Pharmaceuticals. His research group focuses on advanced technologies to improve the administration of medicines and is internationally prominent in this area. More than 300,000 people around the world have been treated with techniques he has developed.
Frijlink is head of an international consortium that is searching for a universal flu vaccine in a research project in which twelve international partners are participating. The European Union supports the research with a EUR 6 million grant. Frijlink is confident that a vaccine protecting people from all types of flu will be found in the near future, making the annual flu jab redundant.
Frijlink is particularly enthusiastic about drugs that can be administered via an inhaler, as these could be more effective than injections. He has already developed an innovative powder inhaler for asthma and COPD, the Novolizer, which has a number of great advantages compared to existing inhalers.
Erik Frijlink has been nominated for the Huibregtsen Prize 2016. The jury report says: ' Frijlink’s work is a textbook example of ground-breaking research that is also of great importance to society. He combines academic excellence with social relevance, while also being the inventor one of only a handful of discoveries by a Dutch university leading to a remarkable flow of patent-generated income.'
Previously in the news
- UG and UMCG researchers investigate corona inhaler
- Frijlink wins Utrecht University Award for Excellence in Pharmaceutical Research 2015
- New, safe, large-scale avian flu vaccine for chickens
- Universeel griepvaccin op komst [Universal flu vaccine on the horizon; article in Dutch]
- EUR 6 million for new universal flu vaccine
- Griepprik overbodig met inhaler [Inhaler makes flu jab redundant; article in Dutch]
- De farmaceut als uitvinder [The pharmacist as an inventor; article in Dutch] (Broerstraat 5, p.8)
Innovative inhaler: the Novolizer
Contact and further information
|Last modified:||11 January 2023 12.05 p.m.|