How to apply
The application for exchange and guest students who wish to study for one or two semesters at the University of Groningen is handled by the International Office of the Faculty of Law.
- For Autumn entry (early September) / academic year: 1 May
(nomination deadline: 15 April)
- For Spring entry (early February): 1 November
(nomination deadline: 15 October)
1. Contact your exchange coordinator
- To be eligible for an exchange with the Faculty of Law of the University of Groningen, you must be a registered student at one of our partner universities.
- Check if you meet the basic requirements for an exchange at the Law Faculty of the University of Groningen.
- Identify a suitable study programme. Please check our course information to see whether we offer courses that fit with your study programme at your home institution.
- If you want to study as an exchange student at the University of Groningen, you should first contact the exchange officer at your home university, and ask to be nominated.
2. Submit your application
- Once your home university has nominated you for an exchange period in Groningen (Law Faculty), we need you to fill in our online application form, and include a number of extra documents.
Please read the instructions on the form carefully before submitting the online Application Form. Once you have collected all the necessary documents, you can send in your Law Application Form:
Your application must include:
- Official list of grades
- Copy of your Passport/Identity Card
- Proof of health insurance
- Proposed study programme / Learning Agreement
Please note: incomplete / incorrect applications will not be processed. It is possible to save the form and continue at a later time.
3. Applying for Accommodation
Finding accommodation in Groningen is difficult, especially before starting the first semester. We strongly recommend you to register for international student housing with the Student Housing Office SSH. Accommodation through SSH is not guaranteed.
You will receive information about the exact housing procedure after nomination. More information on other accommodation possibilities, please go to Accommodation.
- You will be sent an email acknowledging receipt of your application.
- After we receive all the required documents, the International Office will start the university registration procedure. Once this is done, you will automatically receive an email with your Groningen student number and computer account - which you should activate right away with the temporary password you will have received.
- You now have to upload a passport-size photograph which will be used for the Groningen student card. Instructions for this photograph upload will have been sent to you already. When your student card is ready, you will receive an email when and where you can pick it up.
We will provide you with detailed information and instructions on the entry visa and residence permit application procedures. For more details see practical information.
5. On arrival
- You should report to the International Office and you will then get an information package.
- You will have to attend the compulsory introduction programme consisting of the University Introduction Programme for incoming international students plus the Faculty of Law introduction meeting.
- You have to confirm and ask permission from the exchange coordinator (Ms Astrid van Dort or Ms. Eleonora Goljan) in Groningen to follow the courses of your choice.
- Other important things students should arrange after arrival are:
- A bank account (if necessary)
- Residence permit (if necessary)
- Registration at City Hall
For more details see practical information.
|Last modified:||10 January 2019 12.01 p.m.|