Before you arrive in Groningen
Once you have been accepted by us for an exchange, there are still a lot of steps necessary to arrange a successful exchange semester. The checklist below will help to efficiently organize everything in time. Check the Studying in Groningen brochure that we sent to you for more detailed information about the various steps.
- If applicable, apply for visa
- Arrange accommodation
- Activate your UG account (activation instructions will be sent to your private email address, check your Spambox)
- Upload your photograph to get your student card
- Arrange your trip to Groningen; make sure to be in Groningen in time for all compulsory events
- Arrange health insurance
- If applicable, arrange your learning agreement (it is possible that your home university provides this document and it needs to be signed by us)
- Register for Movin’ to Groningen
Register for an ESN buddy
When you arrive in Groningen
A good start is essential for study success and enjoying your time as an exchange student in Groningen. In order to make the most out of your stay in Groningen, it is necessary to get introduced to your new (academic) environment. When booking your plane ticket and/or accommodation, make sure to arrive in Groningen on time!
Attending this programme for all new international students at the University of Groningen will help you arrange a lot of practical and legal matters in one day. The programme includes a university fair featuring information on social, cultural, language, sports, housing office, computer and other facilities. Participants will be: City Hall, AON health insurance, Immigration Authorities and many more.
Welcoming Ceremony '20-'21 Fall Semester:
Thursday, August 27
See here for more information.
In addition to the Welcoming Ceremony, there is a welcoming event especially for exchange students of the Faculty of Arts. We will inform you about studying and student life at the Faculty of Arts. After that you can enjoy a comedy theater performance, and of course, have a drink with us and fellow (international) students at the bar.
Faculty introduction '20-'21 Fall Semester:
Friday, August 28
Check your official invitation for the time and location of the introduction.
In addition to the fun introduction events, you have to finalise your course registration, find out your timetable and register for seminar groups. During the introduction week, we will organise personal appointments with our study adviser and exchange coordinators for these matters.
During these appointments you can ask us questions about:
Academic skills lecture: Q&A
During the Introduction Week all exchange students at the Faculty of Arts attend our mandatory Academic Skills Q&A lecture. In this interactive lecture well tell you about the skills you need in order to be successful in your studies here.
Friday, August 28
Check your official invitation for the location of the academic skills lecture.
Learning Agreement/Before Mobility form
If your Learning Agreement/Before Mobility form has not been signed yet, have it signed during the introduction week.
We sincerely hope you will make every effort possible to attend the introduction week.
Please realise that arriving late and missing one of the events will have serious consequences as:
- you may have overlap in your timetable. Solving this after the introduction week will be difficult;
- lecturers will not allow late arrivals to their courses;
- you will need to take care of the many practical and legal matters by yourself which is much more time consuming and difficult.
Students who are genuinely delayed by illness, accident, travel difficulties, bureaucratic errors or any other problems should always inform us well in advance!
|Last modified:||24 July 2020 4.50 p.m.|