Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Frequently asked questions Financial matters

Study grant (DUO)

  • Sociaal leenstelsel per 1 september 2015

    Op dinsdag 20 januari heeft de Eerste Kamer gedebatteerd over het sociaal leenstelsel. Het wetsvoorstel om de studiebeurs te vervangen door het studievoorschot, zoals het leenstelsel officieel wordt genoemd, is aangenomen.

    Meer informatie of vragen?

    • Kijk op de website van DUO voor meer informatie over de Wet Studievoorschot Hoger Onderwijs.
    • Neem contact op met één van de studentendecanen via ssc-info als je specifieke vragen over jouw persoonlijke situatie hebt.
  • When am I entitled to a student grant from DUO?

    You are entitled to a student grant from DUO if you fulfil a number of requirements:
    • you have registered as a full-time or dual student;
    • you are under 30 years of age and you have not received a student grant before;
    • you have Dutch nationality (or equivalent status);
    • you have not yet exceeded the maximum period for a student grant;
    • your additional earnings must not exceed the stipulated amount;
    • it must be less than ten years since the first month in which you received a grant for higher education.

    Students from most European countries may also be eligible for a grant from the Netherlands. The following conditions also apply:

    • you have a contract of employment for at least 56 hours per month (and you have been in the Netherlands for less than five years);
    • you have your own bank/giro account in the Netherlands.

    For more information about grants for international students, visit the English website of DUO.

  • How do I apply for a student grant from the IB-Groep?

    You can apply for a student grant from DUO via their website. Please note that you usually need a DigiD to do this via the internet. You can also apply in writing – the forms are available at DUO.
  • What is a performance-related grant from DUO?

    If you are awarded a performance-related grant from DUO, you will receive the grant and the Student OV-chipcard in the form of an interest-bearing loan. If you fulfil certain requirements in terms of performance, the loan will be converted into a grant and the interest will be waived. If you do not fulfil these requirements you will have to repay the loan, plus interest.

    You can find more information about the performance-related grant on the English website of DUO.
  • .

  • .

  • .

  • .

  • What is 'loan tuition fees'?

    'Loan tuition fees' (in Dutch: collegegeldkrediet) is a loan for paying your tuition fees and is part of the student grant from DUO. If you are entitled to this student grant, you can apply for the loan via DUO. You can find more information about 'loan tuition fees' on the English website of DUO.
  • What exactly is the 1 February arrangement?

    This item is under construction. Use the 'contactbutton' if you have any questions.
  • I am no longer entitled to a student grant from DUO (formerly IB-Groep) and still need six months to obtain my degree. What should I do?

    It may be that your student grant from DUO stops and that your part-time job does not pay enough for you to live on. There are organizations (e.g. private funds and foundations) that help students – under certain conditions. Private funds may award a grant in exceptional cases, for example to students faced with high costs due to a functional handicap or refugee students who cannot obtain full funding by other means. For more information, make an appointment with one of the student counsellors of the Student Service Centre by using the button 'Ask a question' below.
  • Am I allowed to earn an income in addition to my student grant from DUO (formerly IB-Groep)?

    Yes, you are. There are limits, however. The regulations for additional earnings can be found on the website (in Dutch) from DUO.
  • Which European countries are part of the EER?

    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.

    Students of Swiss nationality can also apply for a Dutch grant
  • .

  • Consequences deregistration for student grant (DUO)

printView this page in: Nederlands