Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
EducationFrequently asked questions

Legal position

  • Teaching and Examination Regulations (OER)

  • Student Charter

    The Student Charter provides an overview of the rights and obligations of both students and the University of Groningen.

    More information can be found on the Student Charter page of our website.

  • Complaints, objections and appeals

    You can submit a complaint, objection or appeal to the Central Portal for the Legal Protection of Student Rights (CLRS).
  • Confidential advisor and student counsellors

    At the University there are two organizations you can go to if you have a question regarding a confidential matter, complaint or appeal procedure.
    • Confidential advisor
      The confidential advisor deals with discrimination, intimidation, aggression and violence.
    • Student counsellor (log on the Student Portal)
      Student counsellors of the Student Service Centre know a great deal about study facilities, grants, study delays and possibilities for obtaining financial support.

    The confidential advisor and the student counsellors sometimes deal with similar problems, but with a different emphasis. In some cases, you will be referred to someone else.


  • More information legal position ...

    You can find an overview of the regulations of the University of Groningen on the Rules and regulations page of our website.
printView this page in: Nederlands