In the last decades, accommodating sustainability in cities has become a mainstream environmental, economic, social and political issue. Ideally, a sustainable city creates an enduring way of life across the four domains of ecology, economics, politics and culture (James et al 2015). However, there is not a commonly agreed definition on what sustainable city should mean or how we can achieve complete sustainability in cities. What is the way to achieve sustainability in cities starts from understanding where sustainability stands at the moment.
In this seminar participants will get familiar with different conceptualizations of sustainability in cities by the use of examples across the globe and develop their own sustainable city framework with specific goals, objectives, actions and targets.
- Robinson, P., and Dale, A. 2012 Generational Responses: Whay a Third? in Urban Sustainability : Reconnecting Space and Place, edited by Robinson, P., Dale, A., & Dushenko, W. T. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, Scholarly Publishing Division.
- Rees, W., and Wackernagel, M. 1996. "Urban ecological footprints: Why cities cannot be sustainable—And why they are a key to sustainability". Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 16 (4-6): 223-248. doi:10.1016/S0195-9255(96)00022-4.
- Marcotullio, P.J., & Solecki, W. 2013. What Is a City? An Essential Definition for Sustainability in Urbanization and sustainability: linking urban ecology, environmental justice and global environmental change, ediited by Boone, Christopher G., and Michail Fragkias.
For the curious:
- Tomorrow's City Today: Prospects for Standardising Urban Sustainability.
- Videos to accompany the final report "Tomorrow's City Today: Prospects for Standardising Urban Sustainability".
- On the Use and Misuse of the Concept of Sustainability: Including Population and Resource Macro-Balancing in the Sustainability Dialog.
- William (Bill) Rees // Why We're in Denial.
- Dialogues of sustainable urbanisation: Social Science Research and Transitions to Urban Contexts.
- Building Scenarios for Sustainable Urbanisation: Balancing ‘Can’, ‘Need’, and ‘Want’ by Olivia Bina (University of Lisbon) & Andrea Ricci (The Institute of Studies for the Integration of Systems).
- The 10 Cities That Are Leading The Way In Urban Sustainability.
- James, Paul. 2015. Urban Sustainability in Theory and Practice Circles of sustainability. London: Routledge.
- Sustainable Urban Development: Discover Advanced Metropolitan Solutions (MOOC starts in January 2016).
|Last modified:||28 October 2019 11.53 a.m.|