Environmental Policy Declaration
The University of Groningen as a socially responsible institution has set itself the goal of promoting sustainable development1 in all aspects of the university. This covers both the promotion of sustainable development in teaching and research and the expression of this in accommodation, management and business operations.
The Board of the University has thus set itself the following goals.
The University of Groningen will comply with all relevant legislation and regulations. The University of Groningen will comply with all the obligations and recommendations set out in agreements it has signed, for example the Copernicus Charter and the Long-term Agreement on Energy Efficiency.
- ensuring a safe and healthy environment for all University of Groningen staff, students and third parties in the buildings or on the sites of the University of Groningen;
- aiming for prevention of environmental harm through its activities;
- measuring and registering relevant environmentally harmful activities;
- the commitment to improve energy efficiency by 2% per year in the period 2008 to 2020;
- guaranteeing and communicating about the safety of neighbouring sites belonging to others;
- accounting for the environmental policy implemented by the University of Groningen by means of an annual report and by keeping the sustainability website up to date;
- limiting the negative effects for the environment as a result of calamities;
- actively involving staff, students and representative bodies in the implementation of the environmental policy.
1: Sustainable development is taken here to mean development that satisfies the needs of today without endangering the capacity of future generations to satisfy their own needs (World Commission on Environment and Development 1987; Our common future : Bruntland report).
|Last modified:||15 February 2013 10.30 a.m.|