Tasks and competences
The UR is tasked with weighing the visions and interests of staff and students in the context of the objectives of education and research in the university with regard to policy and decision-making. In doing so, the council promotes openness, publicity, and mutual consultation in the university, guards against discrimination on any grounds, and promotes equal treatment as well as the involvement of all groups from society.
Right of discussion and initiative
The University Council (UR) is authorized to discuss all matters relating to the university, and to submit proposals and make its views known about these to the Board of the University (CvB). The CvB submits a written, reasoned response to the UR in the form of a proposal within three months. Before proceeding with the presentation of its response, the board shall give the council at least one opportunity to consult with it about its proposal.
Right of consent
The Board of the University requires the prior consent of the University Council for any decision to be taken relating to at least the adoption or amendment of:
- the institutional plan;
- the design of the quality assurance system and the proposed policy in light of the results of the quality assessment;
- the student charter;
- the administration and management regulations;
- rules on working conditions;
- the choice of representation systems;
- the policy on making provisions for the financial support for students who are delayed due to special circumstances;
- rules for PhD scholarship programmes;
- provisions and rules for the financial support of bursary students from the graduation fund;
- the electoral regulations;
- the main features of the annual budget and changes in the allocation model;
- the study loan resources and quality agreements;
- providing an educational programme abroad;
- the regulations for the university council;
- the internal organization of the student facilities; and
- the binding study advice.
The CvB requires the prior consent of the part of the UR that was elected by and of the staff for any decision to be taken relating to matters of general interest for the special legal status of the staff at the university.
The CvB seeks the prior advice of the UR for any decision to be taken at least with regard to:
- matters that concern the continuity of, and proper administrative practice within the university;
- the budget;
- the annual plans of the Health, Safety & Environment Service (AMD);
- a restructuring; and
- the appointment of the members of the Central Executive Board for Student Organizations (CUOS) and the Editorial Board of the University Newspaper (UK).
The CvB seeks the prior advice from the part of the UR which is elected from and by the students, for each decision to be taken at least with regard to:
- the general personnel and appointment policy;
- the policy with regard to the institutional and statutory tuition fees, and the arrangements regarding restitution of statutory tuition fees and the criteria and procedure for dispensation from paying higher tuition fees;
- the regulation for the criteria and procedure for the selection of students in the case of vocational and program specific additional requirements, programs and teacher training programs in the field of art, restriction of first registration on the basis of available teaching capacity, additional qualitative admission requirements for Master's programs, a special track aimed at achieving a higher level; and
- the rules relating to the choice-of-study advice and activities.
Formal advice is requested at such a time that it can be of substantial influence on the decision-making, and issued upon consultation.
In the University Council Regulations further powers regarding equal treatment, safety, health, and well-being in the university are stipulated; in the UG Restructuring Code and the Covenant with the Local Consultative Committee (LO) the further division of competences regarding personnel policy, employment conditions, legal status of employees, health and safety matters, and reorganizations.
This overview is not exhaustive. In the context of the abovementioned rights and obligations, and arising from other requirements or requests, another number of items are usually put on the agenda for consent, advice, discussion, or information, such as the agenda and decisions of the CvB; registrations and enrollments; educational regulations; the management report and financial statements, and other relevant reports and evaluations.
For further tuning of the working method, see the Covenant with the CvB.
|Last modified:||30 August 2019 11.46 a.m.|