Stoker, Prof. Janka
Leadership, organizational change
Janka Stoker (1970) studied Social Psychology and Labour and Organizational Psychology at the University of Groningen and gained her PhD from the University of Twente with a thesis entitled Leidinggeven aan zelfstandige taakgroepen [Managing independent task groups]. From 1998 until 2009 she worked for Berenschot as a senior management consultant, where she was involved in many large change projects for both profit and not-for-profit organizations. In 2003 Stoker became Professor of Leadership and Organizational Change at the Faculty of Economics and Business at the University of Groningen, where she is Director of the leadership institute In the Lead. This institute is involved in research, teaching and advice in the field of leadership and performance. See www.rug.nl/inthelead/ for weekly blogs about current leadership topics.
Stoker’s research concentrates on leadership, power, diversity, top management teams, organizational change and middle management. This has led to many national and international publications, both academic and practical. Stoker is regularly asked to comment on leadership in politics by broadcasting companies. For example, she was a monthly guest in 2011 and 2012 on the RTL Z programme ‘Ruttes rapport’ [Rutte’s report] where she discussed the leadership qualities of ministers in the Rutte I cabinet.
Stoker is also chair of the Supervisory Board of the Economic Board Groningen.
- Stoker in What the Hague?! on political leaders (from 26:06).
- New research centre: In the LEAD
- Stoker on leadership skills of Dutch ministers (in programma Rutte's Rapport; in Dutch)
- Leiding geven [on leadership; in Dutch]
Previously in the news
- Why managers tighten the reins when under threat
- ‘A woman at the top is easily considered a bitch’
- A leader can motivate without financial rewarding people (Dutch article in Intermediair)
- Maxima is thé example of modern leadership (article in newspaper Trouw; in Dutch)
- 'Having 20% or more female managers helps to overcome stereotypes'
- ‘In times of crisis, female leadership is needed’
- Janka Stoker vice-decaan FEB [Janka Stoker Vice Dean at FEB]
Contact and further information
|Last modified:||09 May 2019 4.41 p.m.|