Vonk, Prof. Gijsbert
Gijsbert Vonk studied law in Amsterdam and London, before gaining a PhD for a research in the field of European social law at the University of Tilburg (1990). After having been head of the department for legal affairs at the Social Insurance Bank in Amstelveen from 1993 to 2006, he became professor of social security law in Groningen. Furthermore, from 1990-2010 he held a chair by special appointment in Social Security Law at the Faculty of Law of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. In 2015 he received the VAR-Michiels prize awarded by the Dutch Institute for Administrative Law.
Gijsbert Vonk’s fields of interest are national and international social security law, public law, European law and human rights law. His current focus is on the legal aspects of poverty, which he studies from both a national and a European perspective, examining the consequences the law can have for the disadvantaged in society. He actively seeks social dialogue.
Vonk was nominated for the Huibregtsen Prize 2016. The jury report said: ‘He shows in an inimitable manner that the problems faced by the most vulnerable in society can be caused in part by the way the law works. It is fantastic how Vonk has explored and developed an area deserving of more social and academic attention than it currently receives.’
Previously in the news
- Protecting the most vulnerable
- Subsidie Vonk voor onderzoek naar nieuw stelsel minimale inkomensbescherming
- Vonk nominated for the Huibregtsen Prize 2016
- Wat is de echte waarde van een keukentafelgesprek? [What is the real value of a kitchen table talk?] (discussion in Nieuwsuur TV, in Dutch)
- Groningen telt de meeste arme gemeenten van Nederland [Groningen houses the poorest municipalities in The Netherlands, in Dutch]
- Meldpunt nodig voor zorgklacht [Helpline for care complaints needed] (in Dutch)
- Het recht van tafel geveegd [Justice swept off the table] (in Dutch)
- Sobere asielopvang: mag dat wel? [Sober initial asylum seeker support, is that even allowed?] (in Dutch)
- Sociaal vangnet vertoont steeds meer gaten [More and more holes in social safety net] (in Dutch)
Contact and more information
|Last modified:||09 April 2021 10.16 a.m.|