Foreign language education in the Netherlands
The Science Shop Language, Culture and Communication is looking for master students (Applied Linguistics or Minorities & Multilangualism) or bachelor students European Languages and Cultures for research in cooperation with bachelor students of Didactics
The client : NOB, the Foundation for Dutch Education worldwide, is a non-profit organisation that has been facilitating their smooth transition into the Dutch education system since 1980. The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science has commissioned NOB to promote and support high standards of Dutch education for Dutch-speaking children around the world. In addition to international or local education, 13,500 pupils all over the world are pursuing Dutch education abroad. Many attend Dutch schools (full Dutch curriculum or Dutch language and culture lessons), others go to European schools or stay connected through distance learning.
The assignment: NOB would like to know more about how education on foreign schools in the Netherlands is designed and how it relates to the requirements of the country concerned.
What you are going to investigate is flexible, but for example you can think of:
- How is the language education designed (analysis of materials and lessons)?
- What motivation and goals do parents and children have to reach their language level?
- How do they want to achieve that level and is that effective?
- What role does the surrounding language (in this case Dutch) have?
We would like studens of Linguistics and students of Didactics to work together so that they can learn from eachother and that they can give a better survey of foreign language schools in the Netherlands.
Who are we looking for?
- are interesting in multilangualism and foreign education
- are enterprising
- are interested in interdisciplinary research and like to work together
- preferably are skilled in one of the languages that is taught in a foreign language school in the Netherlands (http://www.meertalig.nl/index.php/links/t1-leslocaties)
- are good writers
Role of the Science Shop: Your teacher will be your supervisor in this project, but because there will be an extern client (NOB) and it is an interdisciplinary investigation, the Science Shop support the process.
- Start: February 2015
- Location: Groningen, and the school(s) you will be investigating
- Interested? Please contact Saskia Visser, s.j.visser rug.nl, 050-3635271
|Last modified:||18 August 2020 10.27 a.m.|