Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Over onsFaculteit der LetterenOrganisatieDiensten en voorzieningenMobility OfficeOutgoingStudy AbroadStep 2: Application

Step 2: Application

Study Abroad: 'Look at the world from a different perspective'

After you have decided which university you wish to apply for and if you meet the conditions, the application process starts. The choice of university and whether there is an exchange contract with this university determines how you need to apply.


If you would like to study at a university with which the RuG does not have a bilateral exchange agreement, you need to arrange the entire application yourself. As a Free Mover (or, 'visiting student') you are not eligible for an Erasmus grant or Marco Polo grant. It goes without saying that it is still necessary to contact your study adviser and discuss the courses you wish to take at the Host University and if they can be acknowledged by your programma in Groningen.

We advise you to always contact the International Office to ascertain if there really is no existing exchange contract. If not, the International Office can still provide some pratical advice but the application process as a free mover remains your own responsibility.


Information on how to apply as a free mover or visiting student should be available on the website of the university you wish to attend. Note the difference between applying as a free mover and applying as a degree seeking student!


More tips including information on possible alternative funding can be found on: en

As a Free Mover, you can still apply for financial support from the Groningen University Fund.

Laatst gewijzigd:24 juni 2016 13:26