Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Faculty of Spatial Sciences Education

Study advice Spatial Sciences

Who are we and how can we help?

There are three study advisors at the Faculty of Spatial Sciences, Nienke Harteveld, Saskia Enuma and Reinier Schoep. They can help you with all sorts of questions and uncertainties.

You can turn to the study advisors with questions about:

  • The study programme
  • Study planning
  • Choosing courses/minors
  • Enrollment
  • Rules and regulations that apply to a programme
  • Following courses at other faculties
  • Studying abroad
  • Personal circumstances that influence your study (see below)


  • Monday 13.00 - 14.00 pm in room 5417.0024
  • Tuesday 13.00 - 14.00 pm in room 5417.0024
  • Wednesday 13.00 - 14.00 in room 5417.0024
  • Thursday 13.00 - 14.00 pm: online (make an appointment via our scheduling system (please note: use your student UG emailadress, otherwise it will NOT be scheduled!))

The walk-in hours are for short questions only, such as planning issues, resits, choosing courses/minors. An appointment or on campus walk-in is for max. 10 minutes. If you would like a longer appointment, then please send a mail to study.advice.fss

Sometime the walk-in hours are changed due to for example holidays or illness. This is communicated through an announcement on the Student Portal - Need to Know.

Saskia Enuma, Nienke Harteveld and Reinier Schoep
Saskia Enuma, Nienke Harteveld and Reinier Schoep

Report personal circumstances to your study advisor in good time!

Personal circumstances are: (long-term) illness, functional disability (e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia, AD(H)D), psychological problems, family matters, pregnancy, etc. These are all examples of force majeure, potentially influencing your study progress.

It is important to report extraordinary circumstances to your study advisor in good time, because:

  • You may be eligible for financial compensation from the Graduation Fund of the University of Groningen. If you fail to report your circumstances in good time, you may lose your eligibility for financial compensation.
  • You may possibly encounter BSA-related problems, as a result of your circumstances. If you fail to report your circumstances in good time, your circumstances may not be taken into consideration when the BSA is executed at the end of the academic year.
  • In case you suffered from personal circumstances and would like to file a request for special treatment to the Board of Examiners, these circumstances must have been reported in good time to the study advisor.
  • Please, keep in mind that:
  • Conversations with the study advisor are always 100% confidential. They will never discuss your circumstances with others (students, teachers, Board of Examiners, parents, etc), unless you explicitly give permission to do so.
  • Have you reported personal circumstances last year to your study advisor, and do these circumstances still affect your study progress in the current academic year? Please report your circumstances this year as well.
  • Are you in doubt about the necessity of an appointment? Please explain by email your situation to the study advisor, or visit him/her during the walk-in hours.

Services of the University of Groningen

The University of Groningen offers all kinds of services in the field of effective studying, personal development and career services. You can find information about student well-being on the website.

Please make use of the offer of courses and workshops and the services of the student counsellors and student psychologists of the Student Service Centre.

Study advisors may refer you to the Student Service Centre if they feel this could help you in improving your situation.

The Student Service Centre offers UG-students support on:

  • Study skills
  • Study delay
  • Psychological problems
  • Studying with a functional impairment
  • Financial matters
  • Legislation and regulation

You can contact the Student Service Centre yourself as well, without interference of study advice.

You can also find information about studying with personal circumstances on

For career advice, study advice may refer you to the FSS Career Services in the Duisenberg building. You can also go to RUG Career Services in the city centre.

Last modified:29 April 2022 3.07 p.m.