Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us FEB Education Exchange students / FEB Incoming students / FEB Practical information

Visa and Residence Permit

If you are a non-EU student, you will need a visa and/or residence permit for your study abroad in the Netherlands. The Immigration Service Desk (ISD) takes care of the visa and residence permit applications of all university students and staff. In fact, exchange students cannot request their visa or residence permit themselves.

Non EU-students need to upload the required documents in Mobility Online before 8 May 2021 for the fall semester. Our Exchange Office will send a list (deadline 15 May) of accepted non-EU exchange studens to the International Service Desk. The ISD will approach you. They will then provide you with your visa/residence permit application documents and detailed information about the visa/residence permit application process. Please make sure to arrange the following things before the ISD approaches you:

  • Valid passport
  • for Chinese students only: Nuffic certificate; does not apply to nationals from Hong Kong (SAR), Macau (SAR) and Taiwan (ROC); please consult the link below for information on the Nuffic certificate

* How to arrange your visa and residence permit

* How to arrange your residence permit if you don't need visa

Proof of financial means

In order to obtain a visa/residence permit, the Immigration and Naturalization Service will check whether you have sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your stay in the Netherlands. To give you an estimation: about € 950 per month (which is about € 6000 for a semester) is considered sufficient by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The ISD will inform you about the exact amount and also your options to prove you have adequate financial means. Please do not contact the ISD – we would like to kindly ask you to wait until the ISD contacts you.

The website of the ISD offers detailed information on visas and residence permits. There students can also find information on whether they need a visa or residence permit in order to spend their semester abroad in the Netherlands.


Last modified:30 March 2022 2.38 p.m.