A detailed program will be provided to participants prior to the course. In general, the course will cover all aspects of land acquisition involving resettlement, including:
- Welcome, introductions, overview of the course as a whole;
- General introduction to social issues and development challenges;
- Overview of resettlement as a process;
- Basic underlying concepts such as social license to operate; business case; free, prior and informed consent; human rights; sustainable livelihoods;
- Introduction to human rights;
- Overview of the various International Standards: World Bank social safeguards, IFC Performance Standards, EBRD, IAIA guidelines, United Nations Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights, relevant legal principles and frameworks;
- Understanding social impacts and social risks of investment projects (including sustainable livelihoods; resilience; vulnerability; ecosystem services; health impacts);
- Ways of assessing and addressing social issues and tools to use (social impact assessment, baselines, profiles);
- Stakeholder Engagement and grievance mechanisms and conflict;
- Linking livelihoods restoration to Local Employment and Local Procurement ;
- Field trip to a resettlement site;
- Resettlement planning;
- Resettlement impacts, risk and opportunity assessment;
- Resettlement mitigation measures;
- Resettlement Review, Monitoring & Evaluation, Audits, Completion Audits.
In addition to the course coordinator, Prof Frank Vanclay , the course will include, among others, some of the leading social assessment and resettlement practitioners, including Mike Steyn and/or Eddie Smyth (Intersocial), Dr Ana Maria Esteves and Gabriela Factor (Community Insights Group), Frederic Giovannetti and Jorge Villegas (World Bank).
ECTS/Certificate of Attendance
Students who attend all days of the course and participate in all class activities will be issued with a Certificate of Attendance. By completing an additional assignment, students can opt to receive 5 ECTS.
Lectures, workshops, group work, fieldtrip, practical examples, detailed case study.
|Laatst gewijzigd:||03 februari 2017 09:25|