Studying with AD(H)D
If you are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, it can be difficult to fully focus on your studies. You may be easily distracted and may find it difficult to introduce structure to your new environment and your studies. The University of Groningen has various arrangements and facilities for students with AD(H)D.
What are the options?
If you encounter obstacles to studying due to AD(H)D, we will work with you to overcome these as best we can, for example, by adapting your study plan, providing extra time for examinations or helping you to register for the University’s study buddy project.
What do you have to take into account?
If AD(H)D is affecting your studies and causing you to delay your studies and/or to adjust your study plan, you should speak up as soon as possible. Your degree programme’s study advisor can talk to you about creating a realistic study plan or a possible lowering of the BSA threshold. You may also be eligible for additional facilities and/or financial arrangements in the event of a study delay. The student counsellors at the Student Service Centre (SSC) can provide you with information about this. This information can be found on the Student Portal.
What do you need to do?
- Make an appointment with your study advisor in good time
Inform your study advisor about your AD(H)D and explain how it is affecting your study progress. The study advisor may decide to refer you to the student counsellor.
- Make an appointment with the student counsellor in good time
The student counsellor can help you to formally arrange the modifications or facilities that you need. They will also advise you about possible financial arrangements in the event of a study delay of 15 ECTS or more. Contact information of student counsellors can be found on Student Portal.
- The Student Service Centre (SSC) offers various courses and workshops, such as a Study Support Group specially for students who have difficulty organizing their study-related tasks, such as students with AD(H)D.
- On the website of the national Handicap & Studie expertise centre, you will find information about various impairments and the impact that they may have on your studies, as well as possible adjustments that can be made.
- The video “Toetsen, niet minder, maar anders: ADD” is about a student with ADD.
Ben je een Nederlandse studiekiezer? Ga dan naar onze pagina's voor Nederlandse studenten.
|Last modified:||24 June 2019 11.33 a.m.|