Studying with psychological conditions
Psychological conditions such as depression, relationship problems, an addiction or anxiety can hinder your study progress. The University of Groningen has various arrangements and facilities for students with physical disabilities.
What are the options?
If you encounter obstacles to studying due to a psychological condition, we will work with you to overcome these as best we can, for example, by adapting your study plan or providing a separate examination room (in the event of anxiety disorders or phobias). It is also possible to make an appointment with the student psychologist for short-term one-on-one help (max. 5 sessions). Contact information of the student psychologists can be found on Student Portal.
What do you have to take into account?
If a psychological condition is affecting your studies and causing you to delay your studies and/or to adjust your study plan, you should speak up as soon as possible. Your degree programme’s study advisor can talk to you about creating a realistic study plan or a possible lowering of the BSA threshold. You may also be eligible for additional facilities and/or financial arrangements in the event of a study delay. The student counsellors at the Student Service Centre (SSC) can provide you with information about this. This information can be found on the Student Portal.
What do you need to do?
- Make an appointment with your study advisor in good time
Inform your study advisor about your condition and explain how it is affecting your study progress. The study advisor may decide to refer you to the student counsellor.
- Make an appointment with the student counsellor in good time
The student counsellor can help you to formally arrange the modifications or facilities that you need. They will also advise you about possible financial arrangements in the event of a study delay of 15 ECTS or more. Contact information of student counsellors can be found on Student Portal.
- The Student Service Centre (SSC) offers various courses and workshops, such as Successful Exam Techniques, Overcome your Performance Anxiety, and Stop Procrastinating. These courses and workshops can be found on Student Portal.
- If you would like to study with another student, you can apply for the Humanitas ‘study buddy project’.
- More information about studying with a psychological condition can be found on the Begeleid Leren expertise centre website.
Ben je een Nederlandse studiekiezer? Ga dan naar onze pagina's voor Nederlandse studenten.
|Last modified:||24 June 2019 12.32 p.m.|