Introduction to Teaching
|Target group||PhD students without teaching activities|
Thursday 30 September 2021 (9.30-12.30) & 21 October 2021 (9.30-12.30)
|Study load||14 hours (0.5 ECTS)
(Preparatory) assignments are required for succesful completion of the training
|Number of participants||6 - 16 students|
|Certificate||You will be awarded a certificate at the end of this course|
|Entry knowledge||English language skills at a sufficient level to present and participate in discussions with peers|
|Contact info||For more information, contact the Educational Staff Development (email@example.com)|
Background & Content
Introduction to Teaching gives PhD-students a first insight into the teaching profession. The aim of this training is to guide PhD-students through the process of turning their own research topic into an educational session.
By making use of a hands-on approach, we cover all steps in creating high-quality education; starting with:
- Identifying key aspects of the topic.
- Designing an effective session.
- Becoming aware of key didactic skills and methods.
- As well as effective assessment.
Throughout the training, particular attention is paid to staying close to home. PhD-students are asked about their research topic and to create a session that is not only a successful exercise, but could also be used in their own research environment.
By the end of the training, PhD-students will have created a 20 to 45-minute interactive workshop (or lecture) based on their own research topic, which may be used within an educational context. The aim of the training is to:
- Gain insight into what teaching entails, by means of the Teaching Cycle.
- Identify the target audience and tailoring content to the audience.
- Analysing challenges during teaching activities.
- Identify points of further (professional) development within the context of teaching.
|Last modified:||12 July 2021 10.06 a.m.|