Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Working with us

About Brexit: for prospective staff

As a result of Brexit on 31 January 2020, there is still much uncertainty regarding the legal status of UK and EU citizens and future relations between the UK and the EU after Brexit.

This section aims to share Brexit-related information relevant to current and prospective staff and students. Due to the fact the situation is still evolving, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of this content. The International Welcome Center North and the webpage on Brexit of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) are good sources for further information.

Impact of Brexit on universities

We do not expect great changes at the University of Groningen as a direct consequence of Brexit and will continue to cooperate with British universities and citizens as we do with other renowned universities and citizens around the world. In a joint statement, Universities UK and the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU) reiterated this intent. The impact of Brexit on higher education in general is not yet clear. Words such as university, student, academic or science did not appear in the 585-page draft deal between the EU and the UK that the British Parliament rejected on 15 January 2019. We can assume the following:

  • Brexit will probably not affect academic qualifications, as the UK is likely to remain a signatory to the Bologna treaty.
  • Even in Britain, EU law will not disappear immediately. In general, each EU directive that has been implemented in British law will remain in force until a new law is in place.

If you are considering coming to the University of Groningen to work, you may be wondering how Brexit will affect your plans.

Prospective staff from the UK

If you are planning to come and work at the UG after Brexit on 31 January 2020, and before the 31 December 2020, you will be treated the same way as British citizens who lived in the Netherlands prior to 1 February 2020.
You will need to register in person as a resident in the city’s Personal Records Database (BRP) at the municipality. The Dutch government will then be able to contact you.

Last modified:13 March 2020 12.55 a.m.