Admission Requirements 2018/2019
To be considered to study the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme at University College Groningen (UCG) you need to meet the minimum entry requirements. The UCG Board of Admissions has identified these requirements to ensure that all students in the Class of 2021 have a similar academic background and will be able to successfully participate in the courses offered at UCG.
Please note: You can apply for more than one University College in the Netherlands. Though we are a selective programme, we do not work with numerus fixus, meaning that you can apply for multiple UC's.
1) Secondary school diploma
All students are required to have followed a secondary education which has prepared them for education at an academic institution. The table below shows secondary school diplomas that are considered equivalent to the Dutch VWO by the UCG Admissions Office. Please have a look here for an overview of all countries that are considered equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma. Should you have any questions regarding this we advise you to get in touch with us (email@example.com).
|Netherlands||VWO||Avg Grade 7.0 or higher|
|United Kingdom||Three A-Levels||Avg Grade B or higher|
|Germany||Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)||Abitur 2.0 or higher|
|United States||American High School diploma + four Advanced Placement Tests||Grade 3.0 or higher|
|International Baccalaureate||International Baccalaureate Diploma||32 points or higher|
Please know that the final decision about admission to the programme is made by the UCG Board of Admissions and will only be communicated after your application.
2) English proficiency (spoken & written)
Proficiency in English is a minimum admission requirement for all English taught degree programmes offered by the University of Groningen. This means that you will need to submit proof of proficiency in English as part of the application process.
The University of Groningen accepts the following English language proficiency test: IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, or English Language Test from the University of Groningen Language Centre. Minimum required scores for these tests are:
|IELTS (Academic)||6.5 - no less than 6.0 on each section|
|TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test)||92 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test)||237 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test)||580 - no less than 55 on each section|
|Cambridge English||CAE or CPE Certificate|
|English Language Test - University of Groningen Language Centre||Section scores C2 or C1 and one section score B|
Please keep in mind that:
- The test scores cannot be older than two years
- The modality required is 'academic'
- You may already apply for our Ba/BSc in Liberal Arts and Sciences, even though you have not yet taken an English language test or while your test score is still insufficient. In that case, you might be conditionally admitted with one of the conditions for final admission being that you take and pass a (new) test. Please inform the Admissions Office of the date on which you are planning to take such a test
- The deadline to meet the English language proficiency requirement is August 1st 2018
Submission of test results:
- IELTS: a scan of the score report can be uploaded in the Online Admission System (OAS) or send by email. We can verify the score online.
- TOEFL: initially, a scan of the score report can be uploaded in OAS. If you are admitted, we need to receive an original score report. Please ask the Educational Testing Service to send it to us, using institution code 7191.
- Cambridge Certificate: initially, a scan of the score report can be uploaded in OAS. If you are admitted, we need to receive a certified copy of the certificate.
Please note some people will be exempt from the language requirement:
- Native English speakers
- Applicants with an IB/EB diploma taught and assessed in English
- Applicants with a Dutch VWO diploma and a 7 or higher in English
- Applicants with a German Abitur Diploma and a 10 or higher for the English Kurs
- Applicants with a secondary school diploma from an English speaking country (United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland)
3) Mathematics proficiency
Another minimum requirement for studying at UCG is proficiency in Mathematics. We measure proficiency in Mathematics by having passed maths as a graduating/exam course or by having completed mathematics as a final year course with a passing grade in your secondary education. The Board of Admission will decide whether the level of the mathematics course within your curriculum is sufficient based on the transcript(s) you provide in your application to UCG. An online mathematics test may be part of the selection procedure.
If you do not meet our mathematics requirement, you can choose to do an alternative course / test to complement your application:
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B), obtained at CCVX;
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B), obtained at Boswell-Beta;
- AP Calculus AB or BC with a College Board examination;
- AS-level or A-level certificate in Mathematics (via one of the British A-level examination boards);
- IB certificate Mathematics Standard Level or Higher Level.
4) Extra requirements
All Chinese students must apply for a 'Nuffic Certificate' to be eligible for a Dutch entry-visa. For more information please click here.
Do you want to make sure you don't miss any deadlines? Sign up for our monthly newsletter!
|Laatst gewijzigd:||05 april 2018 11:11|