Admission Requirements 2019/2020
To be considered to study the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme at University College Groningen, you need to meet the minimum entry requirements. Our Board of Admissions has identified these requirements to ensure that all students in the Class of 2022 have a similar academic background and will be able to successfully participate in the courses offered at UCG.
1) Secondary School Diploma
All students are required to have followed a secondary education which has prepared them for education at an academic institution. The table below shows secondary school diplomas that are considered equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma. In case your diploma is not in the list check out an overview of all VWO equivalent qualifications.
|Netherlands||VWO||Avg Grade 7.0 or higher|
|United Kingdom||Three A-Levels||Avg Grade B or higher|
|Germany||Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)||Abitur 2.0 or higher|
|United States||American High School diploma + four Advanced Placement Tests||Grade 3.0 or higher|
|International Baccalaureate||International Baccalaureate Diploma||32 points or higher|
Please know that the final decision about admission to the programme is made by the UCG Board of Admissions and will only be communicated after your application.
2) English Proficiency
Since English is the official language at University College Groningen, applicants are required to demonstrate proof of their English language proficiency. The following exemptions apply:
- Native English speakers
- Applicants with an IB/EB diploma taught and assessed in English
- Applicants with a Dutch VWO diploma and a 7 or higher in English
- Applicants with a German Abitur Diploma and a 10 or higher for the English Kurs
- Applicants with a secondary school diploma from an English speaking country (United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland)
If you do not meet the requirements listed above, one of the tests indicated below will provide proof of English proficiency. These tests will always be accepted by UCG as proof of English proficiency (provided that the minimum score was obtained). Minimum required scores for these tests are:
|IELTS (Academic)||6.5 - no less than 6.0 on each section|
|TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test)||92 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test)||237 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test)||580 - no less than 55 on each section|
|Cambridge English||CAE or CPE Certificate|
|English Language Test - University of Groningen Language Centre||Section scores C2 or C1 and one section score B|
Please keep in mind that:
- The test scores cannot be older than two years;
- The modality required is 'academic';
- You may already apply for our BA/BSc in Liberal Arts and Sciences, even though you have not yet taken an English language test or while your test score is still insufficient. In that case, you might be conditionally admitted with one of the conditions for final admission being that you take and pass a (new) test. Please inform the Admissions Office of the date on which you are planning to take such a test;
- If you need to take one of the above-mentioned tests, you are responsible for making your own arrangements and pay any fee required. As it will take some time for the results to become available, make sure you sign up for an English language proficiency test well in advance before the start of the academic year. Make sure that there is enough time for the results to reach UCG, to make sure that you have the possibility to retake the test if the results are disappointing;
- The deadline to meet the English language proficiency requirement is August 1st 2019.
Submission of test results:
- IELTS: a scan of the score report can be uploaded in the Online Admission System (OAS) or can be send by email. We can verify the score online;
- TOEFL: initially, a scan of the score report can be uploaded in OAS. If you are admitted, we need to receive the original score report. Please ask the Educational Testing Service to send it to us, using institution code 7191;
- Cambridge Certificate: initially, a scan of the score report can be uploaded in OAS. If you are admitted, we need to receive a certified copy of the certificate.
3) Mathematics Proficiency
Due to the content of the courses offered at UCG, we require students to have achieved a certain level of mathematics proficiency during their prior education. We accept the following mathematics levels:
|VWO||Wiskunde A or B|
|International Baccalaureate||Mathematics SL or HL|
|British A-levels||A-level or AS-level|
|High School Diploma||AP Calculus or AP Statistics|
|Abitur||Mathematik as Grundkurs|
For other qualifications not mentioned above, generally, we measure mathematics proficiency by having passed mathematics as a final year or final exam course. The Board of Admission will decide whether the level of the mathematics course within your curriculum is sufficient based on the transcript(s) you provide in your application to UCG. An online mathematics test may be part of the selection procedure.
If you do not meet our mathematics requirement, you can choose to do an alternative course / test to complement your application:
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B), obtained at CCVX;
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B), obtained at Boswell-Beta;
- AP Calculus AB or BC with a College Board examination;
- AS-level or A-level certificate in Mathematics (via one of the British A-level examination boards);
- IB certificate Mathematics Standard Level or Higher Level.
4) Extra Requirements
All Chinese students must apply for a 'Nuffic Certificate' to be eligible for a Dutch entry-visa. For more information please click here.
Do you want to make sure you don't miss any deadlines? Sign up for our monthly newsletter!
|Last modified:||11 September 2018 2.53 p.m.|