prof. dr. M.L.M. Hertogh
Download CV Marc Hertogh (pdf)
Marc Hertogh (1968) is Full Professor of Socio-Legal Studies at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands and Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Law in Context (Cambridge University Press.)
He studied law at Leiden University and at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
From 2015-2017 he was an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford.
His research focuses on public opinion about law, with a special interest in legal consciousness, legal pluralism, and administrative justice.
See current research projects.
His work has been published in leading journals such as Law and Policy, Journal of Law and Society, Social & Legal Studies, International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, Jurisprudence, International Journal of Law in Context, Legisprudence, Journal of Comparative Law.
In 2018 he published the monograph Nobody's Law: Legal Consciousness and Legal Alienation in Everyday Life (Palgrave) and the Research Handbook on the Ombudsman (with Richard Kirkham) (Edward Elgar Publishing).
Marc Hertogh is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Dutch Council for the Judiciary and he has been an adviser to several government departments and committees in the Netherlands, including the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of the Interior, the National Ombudsman, and the Public Prosecution Service.
He is a member of the Law and Society Association (LSA), the Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA) and the Dutch/Flemish Law and Society Association (VSR).Selected Publications
- P. de Winter & M. Hertogh (2020). Public Servants at the Regulatory Front-Lines: Street-Level Enforcement in Theory and Practice. In H. Sullivan & H. Dickinson (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook on the Public Servant. London: Palgrave Macmillan. [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2016), 'Your Rule of Law is Not Mine: Rethinking Empirical Approaches to EU Rule of Law Promotion', Asia Europe Journal, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 43-59. DOI: 10.1007/s10308-015-0434-x [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2015) 'What Moves Joe Driver? How Perceptions of Legitimacy Shape Regulatory Compliance among Dutch Traffic Offenders', International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 214-234. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijlcj.2014.09.001 [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2013), 'A Sociology of the Rule of Law: Why, What, Where? And Who Cares?', Recht der Werkelijkheid: Tijdschrift voor de sociaalwetenschappelijke bestudering van het recht, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 42-46. [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2012), ‘Rescuing Living Law From Jurisprudence,’ Jurisprudence. An International Journal of Legal and Political Thought, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 135-152. [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2012), 'Mind the (New) Gap: A Selective Survey of Current Law and Society Research in the Netherlands,' International Journal of Law in Context, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 137-153. [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2012), 'The Curious Case of Dutch Legal Culture: A Reassessment of Survey Evidence,' Journal of Comparative Law, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 146-168. [full text]
- Marc Hertogh et al. (2011), National Judges as European Union Judges. Knowledge, Experience and Attitudes of Lower Court Judges in Germany and the Netherlands. The Hague: Eleven International Publishing. ISBN 978 94 90947 33 0 (with Tobias Nowak, Fabian Amtenbrink and Mark Wissink).
- Hertogh, M. (2011), 'Loyalists, Cynics and Outsiders. Who Are the Critics of the Justice System in the UK and the Netherlands?,' International Journal of Law in Context, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 31-46. [full text]
- Hertogh, M. (2010), 'Crime and Custom in the Dutch Construction Industry,' Legisprudence, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 307-326. [full text]
- Hertogh, M. (2010), Through the Eyes of Bureaucrats: How Front-Line Officials Understand Administrative Justice, in: M. Adler (Ed.), Administrative Justice in Context. Oxford: Hart Publishing, pp. 203-225. ISBN 978 1 84113 928 9. [full text]
- Marc Hertogh (Ed.) (2009), Living Law: Reconsidering Eugen Ehrlich (Oñati International Series in Law and Society). Oxford: Hart Publishing, pp 1-280. ISBN 978 1 84113 897 8.
- Hertogh, M. (2009), 'What's in a Handshake? Legal Equality and Legal Consciousness in the Netherlands,' Social & Legal Studies, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 221-239. [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2008), What is Non-State Law? Mapping the Other Hemisphere of the Legal World, in: J .van Schooten & J.M. Verschuuren (Eds.), International Governance and Law: State Regulation and Non-State Law. Cheltenham/Northhampton: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 11-30. ISBN 978 1 84720 727 2. [full text]
- Marc Hertogh and Simon Halliday (eds.) (2004), Judicial Review and Bureaucratic Impact: International and Interdisciplinary Perspectives (Cambridge Studies in Law and Society). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp 1-315. ISBN 0 521 83918 1.
- Hertogh, M. (2004), A 'European' Conception of Legal Consciousness: Rediscovering Eugen Ehrlich, Journal of Law and Society ,Vol. 31, No. 4 , pp. 457-481. [full text]
- M. Hertogh (2001), Coercion, Cooperation, and Control: Understanding the Policy Impact of Administrative Courts and the Ombudsman in the Netherlands, Law & Policy, Vol. 23, No. 1, 47-67. [full text]
|Last modified:||16 May 2020 11.43 a.m.|