dr. H.G. (Helco) van Keeken, PhD
Helco G. van Keeken (born in the Netherlands, 1973) obtained the Atheneum degree at the KSG De Breul in Zeist in 1993. He studied Physical Therapy at the Hogeschool van Amsterdam, which he graduated from in 1997. He was awarded cum laude for his internships. The subject of his thesis was 'the segmental dysregulation'. After this study, he started working at the Rehabilitation Department of the Academical Medical Center Amsterdam in 1998, focusing on the orthopedic patient. In the four years that he worked there, he was involved in several innovative projects (CAREN, (E)Motions; Gait Analysis Internet Application (GAIA)) in collaboration with Motek BV. Amsterdam and University of Groningen, the Netherlands. These projects were funded by the European Community. In 2002 he started working as a scientific researcher at the University of Groningen, where he started his PhD study under supervision of Prof. Dr. E. Otten. This study was part of the project 'Postural Control After Lower Limb Amputation; changes in body representation and the recovery of postural control', in which the Center for Human Movement Sciences of the University of Groningen collaborated with the Center for Rehabilitation of the University Medical Center of Groningen and the Orthopedic Workshop Haren (OIM Foundation), the Netherlands. From 2007, he is working as a reseacher and a university teacher at the University of Groningen and as of 2016 he is also coordinator of the HMS Skills lab.
• Postural control during stance & gait • Assistive technology • Classification in rehabilitation and adaptive sports • Motor control and learning • Virtual reality & virtual environments
• Functional ability • Focus of attention, differential and discovery learning • (Real time) feedforward and feedback information for motor control and learning • Muscle synergies and reflexes • Neuromechanics & Energetics
• Biomechanics • Signal acquisition and analysis • CAREN & Grail • Instrumented treadmill • Prosthetic legs (kneewalker)
• M-Gait certified operator (2015) • CAREN certified operator (2014) • BROK (2013) • BKO (2011)
RehabMove 2018: MOVING TOWARDS AN EXERCISE & MOVEMENT-FRIENDLY ACADEMIC HOSPITAL: THE UMCG LIFESTYLE NAVIGATORde Roos, R., Dekker, R., Stevens, M., Diercks, R. L., Navis, G., van Keeken, H., Boer, A., van 't Klooster, J., van der Woude, L. H. V., Sandys, K. L. & Tuintjer, N., 12-Nov-2018, 6th International RehabMove State-of-the-Art Congress. 3 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution › Academic › peer-review
Gait analysis and adaptations: using new ideas to tackle old problems in gait classification and trainingvan Keeken, H., Buurke, T. J. W., den Otter, R., Zhou, Y., Lamoth, C., Greve, C., Hijmans, J., Hagoort, I., de Beus, M., Hortobagyi, T. & Weiland, S., 2018, p. 44-45. 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Other › Academic
Standing task difficulty related increase in agonist-agonist and agonist-antagonist common inputs are driven by corticospinal and subcortical inputs respectivelyNandi, T., Hortobágyi, T., van Keeken, H. G., Salem, G. J. & Lamoth, C. J. C., 21-Feb-2019, In : Scientific Reports. 9, 1, 12 p., 2439.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Academic › peer-review
- Vegter, R. (ed.), van der Woude, L. H. V., Janssen, T. W. J., Dekker, R., Houdijk, H., de Groot, S. (ed.), van Keeken, H., Seves, B., Plaggenmarsch, C., Mouton, L. & Schelhaas, R., Dec-2018, 112 p. Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen.
Research output: Other contribution › Academic
Press / Media
1 item of media coverage
Press/Media: Public Engagement Activities › Popular
1 media contribution
Press/Media: Research › Popular
Activity: Consultancy › Professional
Activity: Talk or presentation › Professional
- 1-Mar-2018 → 14-Dec-2018
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Organising an event › Professional
Helco Keeken, van (Recipient), 22-May-2016
Prize › Academic