Wired for Astronomy?
How old is the universe? How do galaxies develop? How are planetary systems formed?
Test whether the Astronomy bachelor’s programme fits you with this free online 4-week online study programme offered by the Scholierenacademie of the University of Groningen. In the web classes you experience - at home, from behind your own computer - the content, work forms and atmosphere of this bachelor. Our tutors are ready to provide you with personal feedback.
Spectacular discoveries have recently been made in the field of astronomy, mainly because technological advances make new things possible. In Groningen you can choose to concentrate on the universe itself, or on developing and improving instruments.
By combining the knowledge acquired in this web class you will do a very unique assignment: you will determine the expansion of the universe! In order to do so you will measure the distances and recession velocities of carefully selected galaxies and plot these quantities in a so-called Hubble diagram. This diagram will tell you the current rate of expansion of the universe.
- October 1st you can register again for the new round of web classes, which runs from November 4 to December 1, 2019.
- November 4 kick-off week 1 webclasses.
- November 11 start week 2 webclasses.
- November 18 start week 3 webclasses.
- November 25 start week 4 webclasses.
- December 1 finish webclasses.