Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Research Research Support Portal Before your research

Administrative and legal

Administrative & legal - logo

Before you start your research, take time to think about the legal procedures you may encounter during your project. This could include drawing up contracts with third parties, but also matters relating to privacy laws and academic integrity. Ask for legal help in plenty of time, is the motto. This page explains when it is necessary to consider the legal aspects, and where you can find the right support. 

Legal support

The UG works with companies, institutions, public bodies, the European Union, and many other national and international organizations. If a researcher decides to work alongside one of these parties, contracts need to be drawn up. In this case, you should always ask for help from the General Administrative and Legal Affairs Office (ABJZ) via your faculty contact person. This could be the project controller, funding officer, project manager, or business coordinator (FSE). As well as drawing up and agreeing contracts, the ABJZ can provide support with countless other legal matters.

Drawing up and agreeing contracts

When a researcher works with external parties, mutual agreements must be laid down in a contract. It is important to involve the General Administrative and Legal Affairs Office via the faculty at an early stage, leaving enough time to prepare and provide legal advice before any agreements are reached with third parties. Government bodies usually work with standard contracts, but you will often need a customized contract if you want to collaborate with commercial parties.

General Administrative and Legal Affairs Office (ABJZ)

The General Administrative and Legal Affairs Office (ABJZ) is responsible for drawing up and agreeing contracts. You should contact the faculty contact person: see faculty links.

Model agreements with third parties

Click here for examples of model contracts with third parties.

Support with other administrative and legal affairs

If you come up against any legal problems during the preparation phase of your research, the General Administrative and Legal Affairs Office can help you. They can offer support with the following legal and administrative matters.

Patents and intellectual property

More information about applying for patents and transferring intellectual property.

Privacy & Security Portal

The Privacy & Security Portal provides information about processing personal data in line with the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). Or you can contact one of the Privacy & Security coordinators in your faculty.

Data processor agreement

If a third party is processing personal data, a data processor agreement will need to be signed. Please note: a GDPR staff member must always approve the content of any such agreement.

Double and joint doctorate agreements

See the templates and procedures for drawing up a double or joint doctorate agreement here.    


More information about insurance and the relevant conditions is available here.

Animal experiments

If you are planning to conduct animal experiments during your research, you must study the rules and regulations very carefully or contact an animal experiment expert at the UG.

Additional activities

Do you perform additional activities, other than your work for the UG? This page provides more information about reporting additional activities. You will also find information about schemes that may be useful to you.  

Scientific integrity

The General Administrative and Legal Affairs Department (ABJZ) provides support in testing research against (international) standards to ensure scientific integrity.

Last modified:19 September 2023 10.31 a.m.
View this page in: Nederlands