The Night of Nights - Public evening Blaauw Observatory
|When:||Sa 24-10-2015 18:00 - 23:00|
|Where:||Blaauw Sterrenwacht, Nijenborgh 9 Groningen (Bernoulliborg, gebouw V)|
The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute of the University of Groningen and SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research will organize a public night in the Blaauw Observatory on Saturday, October 24 during the 11th Night of Nights. On this evening there will be an extensive program for young and old in the theme Life in the universe . For more information (Dutch), see www.rug.nl/sterrenwacht. You can join the Facebook event here. Tickets can be reserved here.
To start with we will of course be stargazing in the observatory! The telescopes in the observatory are also made available by the Groningen Association for Meteorology and Astronomy. There will be many objects to observe, such as the double stars Albireo and Epsilon Lyrae, planetary nebula and star clusters. If the weather does not cooperate, there will still be guided tours in the observatory and we will show beautiful images of the universe made with the Gratama Telescope.
There will be various activities to enjoy for young and old:
- Guided tours Blaauw Observatory (starting every half hour from 19:00, English tour at 20:30)
- Shows in Kapteyn mobile planetarium: Extrasolar Planets – Discovering new worlds (starting every 45 minutes from 18:00, English show at 19:30)
- Lecture on "Life in the universe" by prof. dr. Inga Kamp at 20:00 (Dutch)
- Exhibit Science LinX and Futureproof
- Filmtrailers of full dome theater Infoversum
- Children's program:
- Star Quiz at 19:00 (for children 6 to 12 years old, Dutch): win VIP tour in the Blaauw Observatory!
- Make a comet with dry ice
- Build a clay scale model of dwarf planet Pluto and his moon Charon
The observatory will be open from 18:00 to 23:00. Location: Bernoulliborg, Nijenborgh 9, Groningen (building V on the Zernike Campus). Admission is free for all activities. There is also an English guided tour in the observatory and an English planetariumshow. For more information (Dutch), see www.rug.nl/sterrenwacht. You can join the Facebook event here. Tickets can be reserved here.
For an impression of the Night of Nights 2014, here are pictures and here is a report.