Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
EducationUniversity of Groningen Summer SchoolsPractical information

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the requirements for participating in the summer school?

The University of Groningen is a research university. This means that all of our summer schools are research-driven and are targetting advanced bachelor students, Master students or postgraduates. Also, all our summer schools are taught in English, so you need a good command of English. For more specific information, please visit the summer school page of your interest via our overview page.

How can I apply for a summer school?

Application is simple: please go to the page of the summer school of your liking, click 'apply now', and fill out the online application form.

When is the application deadline?

This depends on the summer school you want to apply for. You can find the application deadline on the specific summer school page.

Can I get credits for participating in the summer school?

Upon successful completion of the programme, the summer school offers a Certificate of Attendance that mentions the workload of X hours (28 hours corresponds to 1 ECTS). You can apply for recognition of these credits to the relevant authorities at your university. We will be happy to provide any necessary information that might be requested in addition to the certificate of attendance, but please note that recognition of credits is at the discretion of your home institution.

Do the University of Groningen summer schools offer scholarships ?

Some summer schools offer scholarships or (partial) waivers. If this is the case, it will be specifically mentioned on the page of the summer school of your interest. The University of Groningen also offers a number scholarships for international students who are interested in doing a short course in Groningen. Please use the Grantfinder to search for available scholarships, the central summer school office cannot assist with this.

Do I need a visa?

Depending on your nationality, you may need to apply for a Schengen visa (short stay visa). Remember that you should only apply for a visa after you have received official confirmation that you have been admitted to the summer school! Visit our Application and Admissions page for more information on visa.

Do I need health insurance?

The Netherlands has a high standard of medical care. It is, however, very important to be properly insured. Medical costs can be very high, especially if they include a stay in a hospital. Students at institutes of higher education are not automatically insured against medical expenses abroad. You must arrange this yourself. More information can be found on our general health page.

How is housing arranged for me?

In many cases, housing is included in the fee of the summer school, which means that accommodation will be arranged for you. Once you have been admitted to the summer school of your choice, we will inform you about the housing details. If housing is not provided by your summer school, you will need to find your own accommodation. Please check with the summer school of your choice.

Last modified:17 April 2019 2.27 p.m.