King's Day 2018 Bucket List
|Date:||23 April 2018|
First time celebrating King's Day in the Netherlands? We've made a bucket list, so you'll know what to do (and what not to do).
- First of all, party so much on King’s Night that you are barely alive on King’s Day. This makes all the below so much more fun.
- Dress up in the most ridiculous orange costume you can find - then regret that cameras exist afterwards
- Eat so much oranje Tompouce that you wish you had never been born
- Buy something useless at the flea market and then never use it (e.g. VSH tapes of your favourite Disney movie)
- Sell something useless at the flea market (e.g. a puzzle with some of the pieces missing) and walk away with some fool’s money
- Crash a random Kingsday party
- Lose all your friends and just make new ones - it’s easier that way
- Celebrate that there are no lectures on this blessed day by studying (not serious, please don’t do this)
- Proudly display your Dutch flag
- Laugh at a tourist who has no idea what’s going on
- Throw your own Kingsday party
- Go to the Grote Markt and listen to the Dutch ruin classic hits
- Rent a boat with some friends on the canals in Amsterdam
- Go to Kingsland and rap along to Kraantje Pappie
- Be as classy as Maxima
- Work out at a Kingsday bootcamp
- Proudly enjoy an Aperol spritz in celebration - and pretend it's not the most bitter taste you ever tasted
- Teach an international student the National Anthem (or learn it yourself)
- Do the orange edition of the bike of shame the morning after Kings day
- Try to eat seven beschuitjes in under a minute
- Play a Dutch game - my grandma recommends sjoelen and the King loves koekhappen
- Comment on how weird Dutch games are (spijkerpoepen, really?)
- Play some more Dutch games
- Pay €2 to throw eggs at somebody (yes it’s a thing)
- Make an orange cocktail
- Wear a mask of Willem or Maxima's face (can buy at SoLow)
- Go see the King!
Did we miss anything? What's on your bucket list?