Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
OnderwijsInternational studentsHealth matters

EU Health Insurance Card

You can get an EU Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your insurance company in your own country if you are insured under a national health service and you are going to be staying abroad. N.B. in this case, it is the health insurance company in your own country who decides what is considered a temporary stay, and they may apply different criteria than those normally applied in the Netherlands. With the EHIC you will continue to be covered by the insurance in your home country.

Refund medical costs with EHIC

You do not have to send the invoices to your own insurance company in your home country. Send the invoices for medical treatment in the Netherlands to Zilveren Kruis (a Dutch health insurance company) with a copy of your EHIC, as well as your address and bank account number, in order to receive a refund of the costs. EHIC reimburses only medical costs. Follow-up treatment and rehabilitation are excluded from coverage.

Zilveren Kruis
Groep Buitenlands Recht
Postbus 650

Additional insurance package

The EHIC insurance does not include liability insurance, household contents insurance or luggage insurance. At AON you will be able to take out this additional insurance package; we strongly recommend that you do so.

Working in the Netherlands?

Please note that you will need to apply for a basic Health Care insurance if you have a job or paid internship. You can ask your employer for more information.

Last modified:02 August 2017 12.29 p.m.