Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Bachelor's Bachelor's international students Admission and application Visa and immigration

Modern Migration Policy for students

MoMi is short for Modern Migration Policy. It is a legislation that is only applicable to non-EU/EEA students with a Dutch residence permit for the purpose of "study" (in Dutch: Studie). The MoMi legislation requires the University of Groningen (UG) to monitor the study progress and inform students about what to do in case of circumstances that prevents students from meeting the MoMi requirement. All non-EU/EEA students are required to obtain at least 50% of their ECTS (European Credits) per academic year to keep their residence permit for the next academic year.

Are you currently following a degree programme at the UG? Please login to our internal information portal for more indepth information about your specific situation.

What does this mean?

All non-EU/EEA students will receive a residence permit for the total duration of their study, applied for by the Immigration Service Desk (ISD) on behalf of the UG. This also means that the UG is responsible for monitoring study progress with regards to the MoMi legislation. The ISD is obligated to notify the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) if students do not meet the ECTS (European Credits) requirement. Depending on the time and type of enrollment the ECTS requirement. Depending on the time and type of enrollment the ECTS requirement might be different:

  • Enrolled for a full year. A full academic year consists of 60 ECTS. To meet the ECTS requirement of 50%, students need to obtain at least 30 ECTS
  • Ending/ starting in February. Students who are only enrolled for one semester need to obtain 50% of 30 ECTS. This equals 15 ECTS
  • Pre-programme, also known as Pre-Master. For pre-programme students another rule applies; they will need to obtain all ECTS (100%) within one academic year
  • Finishing the programme. Students who are in ttheir final year and need to obtain less than 60 ECTS in order to graduate still need to obtain at least 30 ECTS
Reporting a delay

Students who fear that they are going to suffer from a study delay always need to contact their study advisor first to discuss the possibilities about getting back on track.

Moreover, it is very important that current students login to our internal information portal and fill out the online form, which will show their specific situation.

The online form, mentioned above, will enable students to contact a student counsellor of the Student Service Centre (SSC). The student counsellor will assess whether or not there were valid excusable reasons as to why the delay occured. A valid excusable reason for not meeting the ECTS requirement has to be one of the following:

  • board duties
  • educational force majeure
  • functional impairment
  • family circumstances
  • illness
  • pregnancy

proven by documentary evidence. If there was such an excusable reason, students are allowed to keep their residence permit for the next year. Keep in mind that an excusable reason can only be used once.

Frequently asked questions

What if I did not meet the ECTS requirement, but my residence permit is still valid for a few years?

If you did not meet the requirement, the ISD is obligated by law to notify the IND. The IND will revoke your residence permit, even if it is still valid for a few more years.

What about Binding Study Advice (BSA)?

Most degree programmes require students to pass at least 45 ECTS in the first year. Students who have passed this requirement have automatically also passed the MoMi requirement.

So what if I meet the ECTS requirement, but not my BSA?

In this case you are allowed to keep your residence permit, but most probably you will have to switch to another degree programme. Please discuss this with your study advisor.

My residence permit will expire soon, but I will not have finished my degree programme by then. What do I do now?

If you have not finished your degree programme yet, but your residence permit will expire, you will need to extend your permit. The ISD will apply for your extension with the IND. Please do keep in mind that if you do not obtain 50% of your ECTS in the previous academic year, the ISD is not allowed to apply for your residence permit extension.

Can I continue my degree programme at another university in the Netherlands?

If you did not meet the ECTS requirement at the UG, you are allowed to continue your degree programme at another university in the Netherlands. Please keep in mind that in order for your residence permit to stay valid, do not deregister from the UG before you register with your new university. Once you have registered with your new university, they will handle your residence permit.

Does the ECTS requirement apply to me if I am an exchange student?

No, this does not apply to exchange students.

Can I switch to another pre-programme?

Once you start a pre-programme, you are only allowed to start a new pre-programme if you have graduated from your previous associated degree programme. So, after having finished a pre-programme and the associated degree programme you can start a new pre-programme.

Ben je een Nederlandse studiekiezer? Ga dan naar onze pagina's voor Nederlandse studenten.

Last modified:12 March 2020 10.10 a.m.