Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Bachelor's Bachelor's international students Admission and application

University card

You will receive the University card once. The card remains valid throughout your entire study career. Your University card will expire when you deregister. If you have a Dutch address, the card will be sent to that address. If there is no Dutch address registered in our system, your card will be send to the Central Student Administration. You will receive an email when you can pick up your card.

The University card can be used

  • at the printers and photocopiers
  • to borrow books from the University Library
  • to access the University Library
  • as proof of identity when you register for and sit exams
  • to use the facilities of the Sports Centre if the card is 'geACLOtiveerd'.

When will I receive my University card?

If you have completed your registration, you will receive your University card at home or you will receive an email message with information where you can collect the University card. This depends on your correspondence address:

  • If you have a Dutch correspondence address, the University card will be sent to this address.
  • If you have a non-Dutch correspondence address, you must follow the procedure mentioned below:
    • You wait until you receive an email about collecting your University card.
    • After you have received the email, you can make an appointment online with Student Information & Administration.

Your student card when studying abroad

It is possible to send your University card through regular mail to your home address abroad. Please note however that the University of Groningen cannot be held responsible if the card does not arrive at your home address. A new student card will cost €15. If you would like us to send the card to your home address, please send an email to study, stating your address and adding a copy of your passport or ID-card.

If you do not need to pick up your card, we will keep it for you at our office, until you come to pick it up.

Lost and theft

If you lose your University card or if it is stolen:

Please note that once your University Card has been blocked, the card can not be unblocked. You must request a new University card.

Upload photo

Your University card will include a photo. You must upload this photo yourself. Please upload your photo via:

For more information see manual How to upload your photo for your student card.

Deposit money on your University Card

You can deposit money on your University Card via myPrint. It is not possible to get a refund of the money you deposit on your University Card.

Access to University Library

In the exam period you can only enter the library by presenting your active University card at the entrance gates.

Your University card does not work if:

  • your account is blocked, for example because you have not paid the tuition.
  • you are not enrolled at the University of Groningen.

In the above situations, you may not use the university's facilities, including the University Library.

More information?

Ben je een Nederlandse studiekiezer? Ga dan naar onze pagina's voor Nederlandse studenten.

Last modified:21 October 2022 10.15 a.m.